79 XS400 - Hard starting and poor idle.

grusvag
This post is 5771 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm actually not sure, but I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry. Someone once told me I could damage my carb with high pressure compressed air. And since 10+ psi will normall blow out any passage on a carb, what's the point in using 100 or more?

I was thinking more like 50 psi, as that is what I did my carbs. 100psi will be too dangerous as it can pierce the skin along with the other bits of crud. My little compressor can only make 60 tops.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was thinking more like 50 psi, as that is what I did my carbs. 100psi will be too dangerous as it can pierce the skin along with the other bits of crud. My little compressor can only make 60 tops.

My little 12v compressor maxes out at (supposedly) 250psi, but it struggles to get a racing bike tire up to 100psi. Running it straight through a basket ball needle to atmosphere I don't think it gets more than 10-15psi, but it always works really well.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I finally go the old cow running properly! Didn't really need to blow out any passages in the carbs although I did, after thoroughly stripping them, soak the carb bodies in carb cleaner, spray them down with brake-clean and then dry them off with compressed air. Put all the bits back in and after some trial and error with setting the float heights got it running better than it has ever before (for me anyway). Starts on the first kick (still need to replace the starter motor) and runs beautifully. Smooth, powerful and the mileage, upon first check, is above 50mpg. That's for a lot of stop and go city riding and some fiddling around with the idle speed.

Thanks so much for everyone's help! Looking forward to putting many miles on this bike. My wife has even signed up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course to get her license.

Ciao.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I finally go the old cow running properly! Didn't really need to blow out any passages in the carbs although I did, after thoroughly stripping them, soak the carb bodies in carb cleaner, spray them down with brake-clean and then dry them off with compressed air. Put all the bits back in and after some trial and error with setting the float heights got it running better than it has ever before (for me anyway). Starts on the first kick (still need to replace the starter motor) and runs beautifully. Smooth, powerful and the mileage, upon first check, is above 50mpg. That's for a lot of stop and go city riding and some fiddling around with the idle speed.

Thanks so much for everyone's help! Looking forward to putting many miles on this bike. My wife has even signed up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course to get her license.

Ciao.

Kick ass, good to hear it! Also, I regulary use my kick start, its far more manly than the wimpy e-start.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online