matching frame and engine no.s

claire
This post is 5806 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I believe they should the same as I seem to remember a friend bought a new YZF750 in 1996 and the numbers never matched, I had bought a new YZF750 in '94 which did match.

So I called to Yamaha and was told that '96 was the first year that numbers stopped being matched.

I believe they should the same as I seem to remember a friend bought a new YZF750 in 1996 and the numbers never matched, I had bought a new YZF750 in '94 which did match.

So I called to Yamaha and was told that '96 was the first year that numbers stopped being matched.

Thanks for the help

Claire

It is because thats when they stopped producng engines and frames in the same factory.

They used to get numbered at the point of assembly, so could be matched at that time.

When engines and frames are made in different locations around the world, they are already numbered and so cannot be matched at point of assembly.

Especially for models that have common engines in different frames or one frame that takes different engines.

• 1 month later...
Guest intruder

can somebody clarify whether or not engine and frame numbers are or should be the same on early xt500 (R REG.)

cheers

engine number/ frame number should match on a yamaha machine of that year. have had few old yamahas. engine frame numbers always matched. yamaha was the only manufacturer using matching numbers. up until about 2000

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online