Hello, i am new (if you didnt know already!)

POPEYE
This post is 5858 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good afternoon to you all,

Please some advice from experienced boarders would be great!

I just got myself a lovely little yam RSX100, £260 for a 1990 in good nick.

I do need to replace the tires, and was wondering where is the best place to get them. Im not necessarilary looking for the cheapest option, however other then ebay (and i have looked), i got no idea where to look! With cars, you can just take them down to the local garage and hey presto - new tires! How about with old bikes? Could i just call a yamaha dealer, do thety still make this type of tire?

Any assistance you could give would be great, please excuse my ignorance on this matter but as i said, i am new to biking.......but a quick learner!

many Thanks

Popeye

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

Welcome!

Ring your local Yam dealer. Or Get in touch with the Manufactor i.e. Bridgestone, Michelin.............

Get hold of your local yellow pages and look for motorcycle dealers / repairers.

Plot all the local ones on a map, tape it to your tank and have a ride round. while you are looking for tyres, you will no doubt meet some good people on your travels and find a Class 1 MOT station (Car sites rarely if ever are equipped to do bikes) Ask lots of Questions, (but don`t make yourself a neusense). Checkout there prices and get some recommendations. There is not a whole lot of choice of rubber for this kind of bike, but a quality brand would probably be best, (get the best your budget allows)

You will find it will be cheaper to have tyres fitted to loose wheels, but if you are new to biking, get them to remove and fit your wheels, and watch how its done (Handy for next time ;) ) Also ask to have your chain adjusted at the same time, that way you should get everything lined up ok.

Above all else, just get out and ride your bike, there is no better way of gaining experience.

Good luck. Dave R.

Hi Popeye. Welcome from another recently newbie.

All the above is indeed sound advice. Getting friendly with your local dealer is always a good thing, as you get to learn about the bikes and they could earn a potential future customer. As has been pointed out; so long as you don't become a nuisance, most bike shops are more than willing to help out. I've bought a number of bikes in my time but I have only bought my new bikes (all Yams) from the one dealer. I seem to have developed dealer as well as brand loyalty.....

There are other options. I have found FWR to be a good online source of cheap, quality rubber. I got a set of Metzeler Roadtecs from them at a decent discount. A local non-affiliated shop fitted the tyres and balanced the wheels for a tenner the pair; still saving me money on getting a fitter to supply and fit. However, it's your call.

Assuming the bike has spoked wheels, you'll need inner tubes too, even if your get tubeless tyres fitted. I would generally recommend replacing inners when you replace the tyres, at least this time around, as you'll not be able to guarantee the condition of those currently on the bike. For the sake of a few more quid, you should buy yourself that extra peace of mind.

HTH

Steve

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online