Slipper Clutch?

R12NDS_R6
This post is 5886 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am a complete techno-phobe when it comes to bikes, i just enjoy riding them!

I had a strange experience on my R6 yesterday, whereby i started braking fairly hard and then there was a clicking noise from the front of the bike (ABS?) and the rear wheel locked and the bike started to go sideways. Managed to control it with ease, but felt a little strange.

Has the bike got ABS and is the locking rear wheel something to do with the slipper clutch - whatever that is - or was i just too exciteable with my right foot?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi , you dont have abs , and it doesnt have slipper clutch either, when you brake real hard the rear tyre wants to lift off floor slightly so it skips in the air.watch any moto gp bike race as they have this all the time,,no sure about the clicking nose, ?? poss head bearings are slightly loose ?

hi , you dont have abs , and it doesnt have slipper clutch either, when you brake real hard the rear tyre wants to lift off floor slightly so it skips in the air.watch any moto gp bike race as they have this all the time,,no sure about the clicking nose, ?? poss head bearings are slightly loose ?

Thanks for the reply.

This line is direct fr the Yamaha website - and it says it has a slipper clutch: "Back torque-limiting slipper clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration."

Not sure about the head bearings as it is brand new - is that really likely? Suppose i had better give the dealership a call and check.

Thanks for the advice buddy - i will let you know what they say.

Ta.

yes mate its your clutch slipping to stop u losing traction.

it makes a popping noise if its not to excessive if its a massive drop then its makes a whizzing noise with popping. its hard to explain but it saves your arse if you are going for it.

dude you dont have full on slipper clutch, you have a presure release sprung clutch , thats why it hops and skips,any way that dont matter , rear wheel hoping and skipping under hard breaking is perfectly normal,the clicking maybe brake pads moving around in calipers or the forks juddering.