Front forks and other queries

Welsh Jon
This post is 5880 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all!

I'm new to bikes, so I apologise in advance of any obvious questions!

I've been riding my Virago 535 now for a while, and now she's starting to want some love.

1st are the forks - without going into a huge story the front forks are both leaking and I know there is a score on the inside of the left one. So I'm thinking that it would be cheaper and easier to replace both forks if they both have scores on them.

Are they forks that I could find on a different single front caliper bike? Does anybody have a pair to sell? If I cant find some soon, how much would it cost to have the inside bore re-engineered?

2nd is the carb (maybe?) - When I know there's enough petrol left in the tank she occasionally hunts, and this gets worse when I use cheap petrol (supermarket or Texaco). I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet (have it, just haven't caught it when the tank isn't half full). The pump works well and I cant smell petrol leaking from anywhere, could it be just the filter or something else like the carb needing to be cleaned out?

3rd is a shiny problem! I'm an all weather biker, I'll ride come rain or shine, though I do like a shiny bike. So after a good day on the autosol it really makes me sad to see that 1 day in the rain even if you do wash her after leaves all the polished stuff you did dull and dirty. Is there anything for this?

Thanks for your advice!

Jon

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all!

I'm new to bikes, so I apologise in advance of any obvious questions!

I've been riding my Virago 535 now for a while, and now she's starting to want some love.

1st are the forks - without going into a huge story the front forks are both leaking and I know there is a score on the inside of the left one. So I'm thinking that it would be cheaper and easier to replace both forks if they both have scores on them.

Are they forks that I could find on a different single front caliper bike? Does anybody have a pair to sell? If I cant find some soon, how much would it cost to have the inside bore re-engineered?

2nd is the carb (maybe?) - When I know there's enough petrol left in the tank she occasionally hunts, and this gets worse when I use cheap petrol (supermarket or Texaco). I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet (have it, just haven't caught it when the tank isn't half full). The pump works well and I cant smell petrol leaking from anywhere, could it be just the filter or something else like the carb needing to be cleaned out?

3rd is a shiny problem! I'm an all weather biker, I'll ride come rain or shine, though I do like a shiny bike. So after a good day on the autosol it really makes me sad to see that 1 day in the rain even if you do wash her after leaves all the polished stuff you did dull and dirty. Is there anything for this?

Thanks for your advice!

Jon

Hi Jon

WD40 on a cotton cloth is what I use