registering a rebuilt bike

deb
This post is 5888 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am looking for any info on registering a rebuilt bike.

I bought the sr250 as an insureance write off. It hadn't been in an accident, just stolen and replaced. My brother keeps saying i will have trouble registering it once its done. Infact he said that i could loose it altogether due to the frame number coming up as a write off.

Does anyone have any advice. If that really is the case i will transfer everything onto the other sr250 frame, including the engine.

The other thing he said is that i might have real trouble finding an insurer for a bike on a 'q' plate, which he says i'll have to register it as.

Help please.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are you in "Rainbow" or the uk?

IF uk.......

Have you got the original registration number? If you have do a M.C.N. vehicle enquiry and see what it comes back as.

Once you Know how (if ) the bike is recorded, you will know how to proceed. Cat C and D are the only vehicles you can re register.

If you do not have the original log book you will need to apply for a new one (www.DVLA.gov). if you can show the machine is substantially the same as on its original registration, you should get an age related plate, (not a Q )

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buyin...icle/DG_4022486

How to register a rebuilt, radically altered vehicle and kit car : Directgov - Motoring

This should give you all the info you need, and/or go to your local police station and ask for someone from TRAFFIC. They are usually realy helpfull.

Good luck...D.

I'm in the Uk. The site doesn't have a Namibian flag (where i've lived for years) so the Rainbow Nation's one is the closest/

Thanks for your help. I will see what i can do.

I bought the other sr250 thinking it was registered, but it turns out the number plate issn't for that bike. I just hope I can sort it out.

I have papers from Yamaha to say what year they were manufactured.

So long as the frame is the original DVLA can trace the first reg date and index number.

You only need the frame(original or new)and two of the following........Engine, Forks, Gearbox, or Wheels. So long as are unmodified you will be ok for age related plate.

Yes, both bikes have the original frames and engines. I presume the forks , carbs wheels, gearbox and tanks are original to them too. I dont have the original registrations for either, and whenever i go onto any of these search things they say i need the 17 digit vin, or the 11 digit registration number on the v5. I can't find a 17 digit number anywhere on the bike - their numbers are only 9 digits long, unless you count the stars at the beginning and end and they hyphen..lol

Thanks again. I will give them a call asap and see what comes up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online