Rear tyre rubbing on Swinging arm

Beakster
This post is 5884 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Just got myself a 1981 Virago XV750 SE with shaft drive.

The back tyre is rubbing on the left side of the swinging arm. I emailed the guy I bought it from to ask why but he never replied.

Now the haynes manual says "Take careful note of the fitted position of each bearing before it is removed. It should be noted that any misplacement of the 2 bearings on the drive side of the hub will result in incorrect clearance between the swinging arm fork and the rear tyre."

I reckon this is what has happened, so I took the rear wheel off. When I did the linings of the brake shoes fell off! So I reckon it's been on there a while!

I had a look at the bearings and this is how it looks:

Right (Brake) side:

CIMG2531.jpg

Left (Drive) side:

CIMG2528.jpg

Not sure if you can see from the pictures, but the right side appears that the bearing is flush with the wheel, but the left side there appears to be a small indent. I don't know if that is the cause of the problem though. Anyone know how to go about sorting this issue?

Thanks

-Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi it seems right looking at your pics, its more likely to be an incorrect tyre size.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online