A few questions from newbie Yam owner...

Mr OCD
This post is 5933 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Got a few more questions regarding my new ride ... apologies if they seem a bit retarded but I like to know all is as should be... :)

- When warmed up the engine seems to 'chug' on idle... revs stay between 1200-1300rpm and it revs smoothly and freely... it just doesnt seem to idle as smooth as my old Bandit 600... is this normal?

- It doesnt start without a little use of throttle... is this normal?

- Does anyone have decent suspension settings for this bike? - I have no idea what they are on at the moment but the front forks feel soft

- Do the valve clearances need doing often on these bikes? - I believe they are shims?

- Also how do I get the front wheel off the bike ... as in how do I get the bike up in the air?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Scott

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and Welcome

My old cat use to chug a little on tick over, and was alwas Dealer serviced

I think I use to have to do this quiet often as well.

(for the above it might be worth taking it to a dealer and geting them to sync the carbs. And get the plugs checked/cleaned as well)

To get the suspension set up correctly depends on what the roads are like where you live and your weight. Get the suspension set back to factory settings and then ride it to see where it needs adjusting.

Valve clearance's do need doing at the required service intervals.

To get the front wheel off the ground you need to buy either front and rear paddock stands. (You need to lift the back end up first and then the front, never try to lift on ly the front end, you'll be sat crying otherwise and counting the cost), or alternatively you can buy a Stand that clamps into the Swingarm pivot and then jack under the down pipes to lift it off the front whell onto the back. (personally I prefer the front and rear paddock stands)

Hi and Welcome

My old cat use to chug a little on tick over, and was alwas Dealer serviced

I think I use to have to do this quiet often as well.

(for the above it might be worth taking it to a dealer and geting them to sync the carbs. And get the plugs checked/cleaned as well)

To get the suspension set up correctly depends on what the roads are like where you live and your weight. Get the suspension set back to factory settings and then ride it to see where it needs adjusting.

Valve clearance's do need doing at the required service intervals.

To get the front wheel off the ground you need to buy either front and rear paddock stands. (You need to lift the back end up first and then the front, never try to lift on ly the front end, you'll be sat crying otherwise and counting the cost), or alternatively you can buy a Stand that clamps into the Swingarm pivot and then jack under the down pipes to lift it off the front whell onto the back. (personally I prefer the front and rear paddock stands)

Thanks for your reply Chris... glad its not just my bike then... :)

It has done 19k miles and has been looked after well it seems but finding some of the quirks odd thats all...

I will sync the carbs myself... done this on my old bike every 3k miles which is OTT but then I do tend to be with preventive maintenance...

Main Dealer want £280 for a full service and carb sync plus another £100 for valve adjustment... they wont be getting my money put it this way...

Apparently valve clearances only need doing at 25k miles then every 15k miles on this bike according to Yamaha? - Does that sound right to you?

I already have a rear paddock stand so will look around for a cheap front one...

Cheers

Scott

Valve clearance intervals sound about right to me, I had mine from new until 2y 10, old and 36k on the clock, never let me down once apart from punctures and I can't blame the bike for that!

Valve clearance intervals sound about right to me, I had mine from new until 2y 10, old and 36k on the clock, never let me down once apart from punctures and I can't blame the bike for that!

Just thrown a wobbler at mine as it died in the middle of a busy roundabout tonight due to flat battery... it seems the oxford heated grips are killing the battery... as turn them off and bump start the bike and its been fine since!! :angry:

Just let the Wife have a go for the first time and she likes the bike not the throttle... too much slack apparently - I do agree but have enough to sort out with this bike... :angry:

How do you adjust the slack in the cable? :blink: