1982 XS400RJ Carbs

dsligh
This post is 5933 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has anyone else had a problem with connecting the Mikuni BS34 Carbs to the air filter box? I can't get them to connect for the life of me. I have had no problems attaching the carburetors to the cylinder side, but the two connectors on the air filter box will not connect no matter what I try. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Been awhile since I messed with the carbs on a Seca 400........Loved the Hell outta the one I had!

Is your Airbox pushed all the way forward after securing the carbs to the intake boots? :unsure:

I recall using a big screwdriver or prybar of some type to push the airbox forward as far as possible before tightening it down, then securing the air boot clamps on both sides of the carbs.

Sorry if this may seem a bit sketchy, but I also used this technique on 3 different Seca 550's I also used to own. ;)

Hope this helps

Been awhile since I messed with the carbs on a Seca 400........Loved the Hell outta the one I had!

Is your Airbox pushed all the way forward after securing the carbs to the intake boots? :unsure:

I recall using a big screwdriver or prybar of some type to push the airbox forward as far as possible before tightening it down, then securing the air boot clamps on both sides of the carbs.

Sorry if this may seem a bit sketchy, but I also used this technique on 3 different Seca 550's I also used to own. ;)

Hope this helps

I had not tried pushing the airbox completely forward. That sounds like it might work. The airbox connectors are stiff and very tricky to slide onto the carbs. I wish I had never taken the carbs out, but they were in need of rebuilding. I will try your suggestion.

Thanks

Hope this helps

Is it easier to attach the airbox joints to the carbs and then press them into the airbox? It is still giving me a hard time.

Spray the insides of the boots with WD-40, they'll slide on easier that way.

You can also use aerosol hairspray, it's slippery when wet, but dries tacky and helps them stay on. Works on grips, too. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online