Rust on DT175MX

Josh 28
This post is 5966 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm currently rebuilding a 1980 DT175MX.

Sadly its been sitting in a shed for 17 years so has accumulated a hell of a lotta rust in lots of places. I've almost stripped it down to the frame now and would be grateful for any advice on what anyone thinks the best methods for rust removal are.

I've been told about all sorts from 'blasting' to 'dipping' and would love to know what people's experiences are.

Cheers

Josh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Im also rebuilding a dt175mx, i have just got the frame, swinging arm and lots of smaller parts back from the powder coaters all in gleaming black, the parts i sent were very rusty, all i did was degrease & power wash the parts, as oil will affect the quality of finish, even though the coaters will blast off all traces of rust & old paint, also if you are interested in doing this for your own project a good tip is to fill any threaded holes in the frame with old bolts, which protects the threads and makes things a lot easier when you come to building it back up . best 80 quid youll ever spent......... cheers 3dtees.

Sadly its been sitting in a shed for 17 years so has accumulated a hell of a lotta rust in lots of places. I've almost stripped it down to the frame now and would be grateful for any advice on what anyone thinks the best methods for rust removal are.

I've been told about all sorts from 'blasting' to 'dipping' and would love to know what people's experiences are.

Cheers

Josh

I used triple-S powder coaters who prefer to cover all the threads themselves. they are based in keithly nr Leeds.

google triple s and the web site is full of info what to do.

Classic bike and classic motorcycle mechanics use them, 'nough said.

Thanks 3DTEES and drewpy :)

80 quid sounds great! It all sounds pretty good but do you send the parts away or drop off/pick up cause it sounds expensive to send large parts away? Sounds like it would probably be a better bet to find sumwhere in the South-West that do blasting and powder coating within driving range.

Cheers again

Josh

Thanks 3DTEES and drewpy :)

80 quid sounds great! It all sounds pretty good but do you send the parts away or drop off/pick up cause it sounds expensive to send large parts away? Sounds like it would probably be a better bet to find sumwhere in the South-West that do blasting and powder coating within driving range.

Cheers again

Josh

check out the web site as i think they charge a flat fee of £20 courier.

a more southwest based powder coater is Griffs reality motor works in Bristol, they have also done work for magazines, but i havn't used them.

Cheers

Josh

my husband has just had his h2 powder coated at griffs bristol it was a spanking job, quick and the price was very good

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online