XS400SE Restriction

Bittern
This post is 6004 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, I've just bought my dads XS400SE 1981 ( he's just got the 650 version) anyway i want to get it on the road but i'm restricted to the 33bhp license. My local bike shops want to charge me 200 quid for the privelige of a couple of washers in the intake manifold to restrict it. Well i want to make my own up as I'm not gonna pay £200 for a pair of washers!! Could anyone help me with how much of an opening should be left in the washer??

I've attempted to make a few up and ill post a picture, any comments welcome.

Also does anyone know of a dyno in cornwall where i can go to get it tested??

Cheers, Rich

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys, I've just bought my dads XS400SE 1981 ( he's just got the 650 version) anyway i want to get it on the road but i'm restricted to the 33bhp license. My local bike shops want to charge me 200 quid for the privelige of a couple of washers in the intake manifold to restrict it. Well i want to make my own up as I'm not gonna pay £200 for a pair of washers!! Could anyone help me with how much of an opening should be left in the washer??

Cheers, Rich

I'd get it dynoed first as it may be making 33bhp already (i know the factory states 39hp) get your print out and you have the proof.

cheers, also does the Xs 400 have a camchain tensioner because o can't see one on the bike and as far as i know the haynes doent even metion one.

Rich

Its automatic, but you need to check the blades on the chain as they wear.

Could you tell me how to do this please? Is it a job where you need to strip the cylinder head?

Cheers, Rich

you need a haynes manual (plenty on ebay) you just need to take the cam cover off (undoing the bolts in the right order or you will warp the cover) and release the tensioner but first compressing it and lock it using a 2/3mm screw. the blades will lift out (front and back) either side of the cam chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, Rich

hi its the paper work you are paying for, shop has to fit them and stamp certificate, ins company asks for certificate. otherwise they will not insure it. re dyno, i think you are wasting money :rolleyes: £200 seems a bit much, my son was charged £130. shop around.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online