XTZ660 cold start problems

Patrick
This post is 6066 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1999 XTZ600 tenere, it just won't start from cold! I smell that the fuel is through, so the engine is probably flooded. Mechanics have replaced plugs and tunes the carbs, but no joy. I have read that this is a common problem, but I'm not sure what the final fix may be! Anyone got any tips? Service the choke maybe?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It could be that the starter motor is on the way out. Slow cranking and cold oil reduce the voltage available to the ignition, so poor firing.

Check all earths and the battery connections and make good. Check the generator output above idle, should be above 14 volts. Check the battery voltage when cold. Expect to see more than 12.5 volts. Check and clean the starter relay contacts, ensuring that there are no high resistances causing voltage drop.

After this, has the cranking speed increased? If not, take the starter out and check it.

All this assumes that your ignition system is working OK.

Just checked through the url given above and the choke control might not be working properly. So you might be in for a carb service.

If all else fails, or you get bored with the other checks, try doing a compression check. Low compression will give you the same syptems ie won't start from cold but will hot. Do the test from cold.