Hard start - cold

Harv
This post is 6063 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1977 Yamaha XS360D2. I've had the carbs cleaned and adjusted, new plugs and points, valves adjusted and timing set.

On the first start of the day it takes a minimum of a dozen kicks to fire it up. I've tried Choke , No choke, even Prime.

Doesn't seem to make any difference. After the first start , it starts and runs fine the rest of the day ???.Now I wonder if the local bike service guy knows what he is doing or actually did the work I paid for. I may have have to go talk to him with a tire iron..!.. Any suggestions sure will help..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1977 Yamaha XS360D2. I've had the carbs cleaned and adjusted, new plugs and points, valves adjusted and timing set.

On the first start of the day it takes a minimum of a dozen kicks to fire it up. I've tried Choke , No choke, even Prime.

Doesn't seem to make any difference. After the first start , it starts and runs fine the rest of the day ???.Now I wonder if the local bike service guy knows what he is doing or actually did the work I paid for. I may have have to go talk to him with a tire iron..!.. Any suggestions sure will help..

should just fire right up on first kick! mine does (on half choke in UK summer)

why don't you get a manual and have a go tuning it yourself as its pretty easy and you'll get a lot more enjoyment from your bike!

If any timing etc is wrong It'll be a bugger to start, whats the power like and how smooth is the engine?

get a compression check .

The power seems to be OK, good pick up thru the gears. No smoke. I think your right about doing it myself. I've worked on my own cars so I may as well get educated on the bike. At least a person knows what has been done or attempted untill it is right.

Thanks for the reply drewpy !!!!

The power seems to be OK, good pick up thru the gears. No smoke. I think your right about doing it myself. I've worked on my own cars so I may as well get educated on the bike. At least a person knows what has been done or attempted untill it is right.

Thanks for the reply drewpy !!!!

no problem, do a forum search for online manuals as I must have listed them a few times

Drewpy

Good advice on the manuals,, I'm on it !! . I have a Yamaha XS360 with 2D supplement shop manual on the way. I just received the Clymer 1976-78 manual. A Haynes manual on CD. Also have a Parts manual on the way. If I don't learn something from all this, I'll go sit in the corner !!.

Thanks again drewpy, your a good man to have around. I don't know about that handle you use, don't sound drewpy to me. :P

Good advice on the manuals,, I'm on it !! . I have a Yamaha XS360 with 2D supplement shop manual on the way. I just received the Clymer 1976-78 manual. A Haynes manual on CD. Also have a Parts manual on the way. If I don't learn something from all this, I'll go sit in the corner !!.

Thanks again drewpy, your a good man to have around. I don't know about that handle you use, don't sound drewpy to me. :P

you should speak to the wife ;)