1980 Yamaha XS400SG ?'s

jamescahood
This post is 6060 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just recently purchased a 1980 Yamaha XS 400 SG. I was just wondering what oil is best for this bike? The manual I have recommends 20w/50. I know there is special motorcycle engine oil anyone better than the other? Synthetic or conventional? I need new tires as these are pretty dry rotten. IRC RC RS310 90/90B-18 BLK FRONT, IRC RS310 120/90B-16 BLK REAR, Are these pretty good tires for just everyday riding? If anyone has any useful information about tuning this bike or anything I should check out I would greatly appreciate it. I'm new to motorcycle maintance so anything helpful would be great. Thank you in advance!

[email protected]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just recently purchased a 1980 Yamaha XS 400 SG. I was just wondering what oil is best for this bike? The manual I have recommends 20w/50. I know there is special motorcycle engine oil anyone better than the other? Synthetic or conventional? I need new tires as these are pretty dry rotten. IRC RC RS310 90/90B-18 BLK FRONT, IRC RS310 120/90B-16 BLK REAR, Are these pretty good tires for just everyday riding? If anyone has any useful information about tuning this bike or anything I should check out I would greatly appreciate it. I'm new to motorcycle maintance so anything helpful would be great. Thank you in advance!

[email protected]

I'm using 10w 40. I did use 20w50 and if you have really hot weather then i would go for that. I use semi-synthetic as full synth with make your clutch slip!!

the best tyres i have in use are Bridgestone BT45, the RD boys recommend these as well

As far as tuning goes Megacycle cams do a reprofiled cam for the xs

click here

for specs etc try bike bandit as they will list your bike and also publish data.

Drewpy

Hey drewpy... Greetings from Puerto Rico, I just want to know if you know of any other performance sites for the xs400 , I also have a 1980 xs400sg and i'm looking for performance upgrades (bolt on's if so) Thank's Melvin.

Hey drewpy... Greetings from Puerto Rico, I just want to know if you know of any other performance sites for the xs400 , I also have a 1980 xs400sg and i'm looking for performance upgrades (bolt on's if so) Thank's Melvin.

there's not a lot really,

Motad exhausts, and the cams mentioned previously. you can go twin disk up front using SR 500 left fork and caliper with an xs1100 master cylinder.

the yam xs's were pretty much perfect as they came. there was even a Yamaha sponsered race in Germany called the Yamaha Cup and these used XS400's for a time. These came with full fairing and plastic combined tank/seat unit. everthing else was standard.

Thank's for the info, I'm looking foward at the cam upgrade and i like the idea of the dual front disc brake, I really appreciate your info's and replys Thank's again Melvin

there's not a lot really,

Motad exhausts, and the cams mentioned previously. you can go twin disk up front using SR 500 left fork and caliper with an xs1100 master cylinder.

the yam xs's were pretty much perfect as they came. there was even a Yamaha sponsered race in Germany called the Yamaha Cup and these used XS400's for a time. These came with full fairing and plastic combined tank/seat unit. everthing else was standard.

hey drewpy,

so how much hp would these cams make ??

and do you anyone that has them ??

also, how much do they cost ??

nice bike btw

no idea mate, need to contact megacams and then let us all know.

I didn't get one as its a bit far to send and havn't got the dosh yet ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online