1974 DT 360 Runs then dies

comtech147
This post is 6010 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have two 1974 Yamaha DT 360 enduros. Both will start and run clean for around 3 seconds and then die. The carbs have been cleaned the fuel and plugs are new. all lighting and kill switches have been disconnected. Both bikes do exactly the same thing. Has any one experienced this. I am not very good at wiring. I have an ohm meter but do not know how to use it. Can any one help? Bill

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 months later...

I have done some more research. The dt 360 will produce exactly three sparks and then quit firing until I have waited 24 a couple hours. It will then produce exactly three more sparks before quiting. I have exchanged stators coils and cdi units. All with the same results. The carbs have been cleaned and the plugs have been changed.

quote name='yoda' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:51 AM' post='44383']

Sounds more like a fueling problem.

They are starting on a rich mixture and when the amount of fuel reduces for normal running they are cutting out.

Service the carbs and check the fuel filters for blockage.