MT-01 Safety Recall

Guest Tantalus
This post is 5841 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest Tantalus

Yamaha have released a Safety Recall for all models of the Yamaha MT-01. The recall notes possible critical failure of the rear suspension.

The following text is taken from the Yamaha postal notification sent to all MT-01 owners as listed on their database:

"...As part of Yamaha's policy of constantly monitoring the quality and performance of its products, we regret to announce that the factory has identified a potential defect with your machine whereby under certain circumstances the suspension link arm bearing housing, may become weakened, particularly when exposed to road salt in winter months. In extreme cases this may result in a crack developing in the link arm bearing housing and ultimately breaking, which could potentially cause the rear suspension to collapse.

For safety reasons therefore, we would like to advise you to contact your authorised yamaha dealer at your earliest convenience, quoting your machines chasis number and current mileage to arrange a mutually convenient appointment for them to replace the suspension link arm and associated parts with new modified components."

Any further developments will be placed (as usual) on my dedicated MT website at MT Owners Club.

-Laz-

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest Tantalus

Yamaha should have listed this recall as critical. There is obviously a major design weakness and a failure to use best engineering practice in design, materials and inspection.

This recall is really worst-case-scenario. I can't imagine many people who might ride in such conditions (as I do) not taking the time to clean their bikes of the collected grime & salt. I for one clean my machine thoroughly after every such ride, no matter what time I am home. I have also started using Scottoiler FS365. As to whether it actually works or whether it is an expensive placebo I have no idea. :huh: Maybe I'm an advertisers dream :rolleyes:

This recall is really worst-case-scenario. I can't imagine many people who might ride in such conditions (as I do) not taking the time to clean their bikes of the collected grime & salt. I for one clean my machine thoroughly after every such ride, no matter what time I am home. I have also started using Scottoiler FS365. As to whether it actually works or whether it is an expensive placebo I have no idea. :huh: Maybe I'm an advertisers dream :rolleyes:

I am not trying to speak in place of my brother - who I believe was the first (perhaps only?) person to have his suspension linkage collapse on his MT - but I would note that he uses it everyday, riding to work before sunrise, and back home after sunset, and he simply does not have the time to clean it after every ride.

Moreover, he shouldn't have to: yes, the part is in an area quite obviously subject to salt, grime and stress; but that's a good reason to make it in a way - and from an alloy - that is up to the job.

I don't want to bad mouth Yamaha, but since the event happened some four or so months ago, I have searched in vain for any hint of the problem being talked about - and having come across this today, I've joined the club simply to reply. We didn't even know for certain (hence we didn't instigate irresponsible talk) that it was definitely a faulty product until the recall letter came through a couple of days ago.

Fortunately, my brother wasn't hurt (he didn't even actually come off, as he was riding slowly down a back road, and the wheel simply sort of just went into the mudguard, stopping the bike very quickly) - but when somebody says 'the worst-case-scenario', I really don't think it takes much imagination to envisage something much much worse.

If there is even the slightest hint of a failure of the bikes chassis, wheels or external transmission/suspension, there must be a product recall to inspect those parts.

Once the inspection of as many units as possible has taken place then further recall is required to update the fix for the problem.

This is not overkill. It is a fundamental safety and quality control function that any good company must have inplace to ensure the fitness of its products.

Apart from Yamaha, other manufactures have problems with their products.

Honda, Pan Euro high speed instability. Buell, BMW and Kawasaki frames breaking. Susuki Hayabusa castings breaking.

The list will aways grow longer but with good quality corrective action, no one will have an accident caused by company neglect.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tantalus

Will, thank you very much for your response. I am saddened to hear that your brother suffered the full effects of this defect but thankful that he wasn't injured.

I must apologise if my comment above appeared 'off-hand' with regards to the cleaning regime of the MT01 and I fully appreciate the time aspects involved, as I commute daily across Scotland, a distance of 76 miles each way, from my home to work.

Fortunately I have the time to conduct a thorough cleaning routine after every ride, as long as I have remembered to walk the dogs first :huh:

I never knew that this defect had occurred in the UK and was informed that only a singular occurence had arisen in Germany before the recall was issued.

We would welcome your brothers comments over at the MT Owners Club with regards to this particular failure, or, in fact, input from yourself on his behalf if necessary.

Ride safe.

Tant

(aka Lazarus: Admin - MT Owners Club UK)

Will, thank you very much for your response. I am saddened to hear that your brother suffered the full effects of this defect but thankful that he wasn't injured.

I must apologise if my comment above appeared 'off-hand' with regards to the cleaning regime of the MT01 and I fully appreciate the time aspects involved, as I commute daily across Scotland, a distance of 76 miles each way, from my home to work.

Fortunately I have the time to conduct a thorough cleaning routine after every ride, as long as I have remembered to walk the dogs first :huh:

I never knew that this defect had occurred in the UK and was informed that only a singular occurence had arisen in Germany before the recall was issued.

We would welcome your brothers comments over at the MT Owners Club with regards to this particular failure, or, in fact, input from yourself on his behalf if necessary.

Ride safe.

Tant

(aka Lazarus: Admin - MT Owners Club UK)

Tant

Thanks for the reply. My brother has had the revised part put on (initially it had been replaced with the same-spec part...) and is up and running.

When he gets his computer up and running - a more difficult prospect - I'll get him to contact you at the MT Owners' Club.

Thanks & regards

Will

• 7 months later...

Tant

Thanks for the reply. My brother has had the revised part put on (initially it had been replaced with the same-spec part...) and is up and running.

When he gets his computer up and running - a more difficult prospect - I'll get him to contact you at the MT Owners' Club.

Thanks & regards

Will

hi .. I would like contact your brother , because . my motorcycle have same probleme ....but I serious injury ! hospital and big probleme physical ! I road 110 km/h 120 km/h .. and the rear weel blocked ! and me .....same the plane ..^^ .. this problem is yamaha france talk me ... no responsability !! .. strange !!!!! but I contact attorney !! please contact me in this mail ... [email protected] best regard !!