Yamaha dtr125 refusing to start, fussy bugger.

2006_dt
This post is 6105 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey long time no see lost my password.

Basically the other day when riding to a bike rally it cut out, as if it had no petrol. Checking the plug it didnt foul or get wet when trying to start so sugested blocked carb/jets. I cleaned the carb and now petorl is getting to the plug but it wont start, it does better gives out lovely big back fires with a nice big flame. It has a nice spark and seems to have compression due to thumb over the hole ( cant find anywhere that sells compression testers ) ive been told it could be reeds or timing could anyone give advice on changing timing on these bikes as i didnt know you could on cdi models. its a 56 plate.

thanks guys i owe you one.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

To add to this, when it trys to start it gives out lots of white smoke the same when it back fires. the plug is also always getting a oily substance on. do you think its possible to be a mix of diesel and petrol in my tank. ?

Yep

Had the exact same problem baught the bike for £90 and needed to spend about £170 to get it running ....the exhaust valve , piston and head were ruined.

I just did a top end rebuild...new barrel, head, piston and rings, also don't forget the small end.

I got the head and barrel from ebay for £30 then took it to a local bike shop and got a rebore, small end and piston kit for £55

I then took the oil pump off and premixed with comp2 race oil and locked the power valve open ....premix and there is only one person to blame.

hope this helps and if you get stuck on the rebuild i am more than willing to help if i can

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online