Oil Change

MikeS
This post is 6128 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Opinions welcome on when I should change the oil on my Yamaha SR250 Special. It's a standard 4 stroke, single piston engine. My usual garage is in Spain (yes I rode my Spanish bike to London) and they changed the oil before I left. I'm going to change the oil myself this time. Must be due I think. Is 1500 km a sensible distance between changes? And is there a filter I have to change, or just one to clean? Thanking you all in anticipation.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Opinions welcome on when I should change the oil on my Yamaha SR250 Special. It's a standard 4 stroke, single piston engine. My usual garage is in Spain (yes I rode my Spanish bike to London) and they changed the oil before I left. I'm going to change the oil myself this time. Must be due I think. Is 1500 km a sensible distance between changes? And is there a filter I have to change, or just one to clean? Thanking you all in anticipation.

Further to my first message. Can anyone tell me which oil I need to buy and how much? Yes I know I could just go to a bike shop, but I'd like an independant opinion.

Further to my first message. Can anyone tell me which oil I need to buy and how much? Yes I know I could just go to a bike shop, but I'd like an independant opinion.

I use a semi-synth 4T oil and change every 3000 miles with a genuine yam oil filter.

I use a semi-synth 4T oil and change every 3000 miles with a genuine yam oil filter.

Thanks. I'll make a note of it. I presume your xs400 has similar needs to my SR250.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online