400special main fuse popping

BlindSight
This post is 6137 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I just got a 1980ish yamaha 400 special for $200...put a new battery in it because it had been sitting over a year...supposedly ran before it was parked....its my first bike. it had a 30amp fuse in the main fuse slot and it was blown, tried putting the recomended 20amp fuse in and popped instantly then tried another 30amp and smae deal-y-o. does it even with the key out. any suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well one thingfor certain it has got a dead short in the wiring somewhere before the key switch, check along the wiring from the main fuse to see if the insulation has rubbed through and it is contacting metal,

Merv

well I followed along the main fuse line and cant really see any spots where anything has rubbed through...I replaced the fuse and had the key all the way counter-clockwise and it didn't pop, could turn the blinkers on and such...but as soon as I turn the key it blows....I can even take the key out of the ignition and a red light in the spot in between the two gauges lights up....think the ignition cylinder or something might be causing it?

anyone have any suggestions?....took the ignition appart and didnt notice anything wrong but will replace it while im at it because its kind of finnicky and the key likes to stick. I took off some more stuff and looked back over the harness again and dont see anything that looks like it could have rubbed through...anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyone help?

anyone have any suggestions?....took the ignition appart and didnt notice anything wrong but will replace it while im at it because its kind of finnicky and the key likes to stick. I took off some more stuff and looked back over the harness again and dont see anything that looks like it could have rubbed through...anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyone help?

I'd disconnect each electrical item first then reconnect bit by bit and see if it blows. when it does, that is your problem

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online