great fork seal removal tip

pfcdaz
This post is 6150 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hving spent the last couple of weeks trying to get my forks to pieces i thought i would share the final solution with y'all in case anyone else has similar problems.

the forks are off a 1984 yb100, and aledgedly seperate easily once you remove the spacer and circlip from above the oild seal, put the bottom end in a vice and give it a few sharp tugs.

reality time....after managing to seperate the vice from the bench mounting we ralised we were not on to a winner, so as a last ditch tactic we tried something i had seen on a webste on the net, but not been convinced by.

first step, heat the fork stanchion around the seal until the metal on the seal is red hot. we tried first without heat but got nowhere fast. once hot, fill the whole stanchion with water, let it rest for a few seconds and top up. it must be filled totall for this to work. screw the bolt into the top of the stanchion to seal it. at this point it should be impossible to compress the fork at all.

now the fun part, put a bit of wood on top of the fork stanchion, get a friend to hold it on and also hold the stanchion, get a heavy mallet and hit the thing. the physics of it say that the force of the mallet is transfered through the water and against the back of the fork seal, pushing it out. and believe it or not it works. after a lot of hammering, and mm by mm movement eventually the seal will pop out in a rush of water.

jobs a goodun. hope this may help someone with similar problems to me in future

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

good to hear you got it sorted, jobs like that drive me mad with fustration!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online