removing fork oil seals

pfcdaz
This post is 6147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

finally got some forks from a breaker for my yb, but the oil seals are gone and need replacing. i have managed to remove the (rusty) circlip and spacer that sit on top of the oil seal, but the seal itself is recessed quite deep and it ain't budging.

anyone got some good suggestions on how to get the piggin things out, cos i am close to losing my rag with it!!!

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

finally got some forks from a breaker for my yb, but the oil seals are gone and need replacing. i have managed to remove the (rusty) circlip and spacer that sit on top of the oil seal, but the seal itself is recessed quite deep and it ain't budging.

anyone got some good suggestions on how to get the piggin things out, cos i am close to losing my rag with it!!!

cheers

I use a tyre lever and rag to stop any indents in the alloy and a LITTLE heat to soften the rubber.

If its really low drill a hole and screw in a self tapper for some thing to pull up on.

I'm assuming you have taken off the stantions.

not been able to get the stantions off, according to my haynes manual they should pull apart, but i am getting no joy at all.

I haven't got a YB but check for a allen bolt at the bottom of the sliders. you need to break them fast or they'll turn and then you have to make a tool to hold a nut the other side ( a very long tool).

one of the anoyances about the yb, there is no bolt at the bottom of any kind. i have managed to secure the use of a friends vice, so hopefully i will have more success pulling them apart with one end held securely.

one of the anoyances about the yb, there is no bolt at the bottom of any kind. i have managed to secure the use of a friends vice, so hopefully i will have more success pulling them apart with one end held securely.

another tip i've remembered, use a plastic waste pipe to hammer home the seal.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online