1982 XJ550

Kishkumen
This post is 6159 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings all. A few days ago I purchased my very first road bike, the 1982 XJ550. It is a beauty! I am so pleased with my purchase. So far, I have only changed the front tire (it was dry rotted), but I have put easily 200 miles+ on the bike since I have gotten it.

My first non-obvious problem now. Last night I tried to start it up, and it just goes "rrrru-rrrru", turning over really slowly. I first suspected the battery as I remember the guy I bought it from telling me that he was charging the battery for me before I left his place. However, changing the battery out did not solve this problem. I have to push start it, popping the clutch to make her go. I suspect its the starter, so I have gone online thinking I am going to search for an OEM starter for the bike. However, it seems that either its named something different, or the starter is spralled out all over the bike itself. Can someone help point me to the proper part I need to fix this? If this is not a starter problem (I am far from being a mechanic), what could my issue be?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Greetings all. A few days ago I purchased my very first road bike, the 1982 XJ550. It is a beauty! I am so pleased with my purchase. So far, I have only changed the front tire (it was dry rotted), but I have put easily 200 miles+ on the bike since I have gotten it.

My first non-obvious problem now. Last night I tried to start it up, and it just goes "rrrru-rrrru", turning over really slowly. I first suspected the battery as I remember the guy I bought it from telling me that he was charging the battery for me before I left his place. However, changing the battery out did not solve this problem. I have to push start it, popping the clutch to make her go. I suspect its the starter, so I have gone online thinking I am going to search for an OEM starter for the bike. However, it seems that either its named something different, or the starter is spralled out all over the bike itself. Can someone help point me to the proper part I need to fix this? If this is not a starter problem (I am far from being a mechanic), what could my issue be?

I'd check the earthing lead from engine to battery and also check live connections from battery via starter solinoid to starter. ensure the battery is fully charged.

all else fails your starter brushes are worn.

Get a manual for the bike, this will pay for itself in no time

Was the battery new? It does not take long for an old battery to lose a charge and not be able to keep a charge.

I don't know how new the older battery was, but the one I bought to replace it is brand new and yet it did not remedy the problem.

could be the starter then, or alternator if the battery is not holding a charge, check the length of the brushes.

Get a Haynes repair manual

There are several sites that have OEM parts diagrams for older Yamaha bikes. Starmotorcyles.com is one.

xjbikes.com also has lots of info on xj motorcycles

could be the starter then, or alternator if the battery is not holding a charge, check the length of the brushes.

Get a Haynes repair manual

There are several sites that have OEM parts diagrams for older Yamaha bikes. Starmotorcyles.com is one.

xjbikes.com also has lots of info on xj motorcycles

Thnx. The Haynes repair manual is on its way (ordered it before this problem, though, and I have 7-10 days until I see it). I have also recently discovered xjbikes.com as well... Tonight I am going over to a friend's place who is familiar w/motorcycles, and see what he says about it. Hopefully I can get this fixed quickly.

FYI: I bought a starter on ebay a few days ago, and it arrived. I installed it and got it working no problem. I was right w/my assumption that it was the starter. Thanks again, all.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online