Replace Carbs?

dragonnoodle
This post is 6165 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was pulling the carbs apart for a good cleaning and found who ever had the bike before me tightened the idle mixture screws too tight. The tips twisted off and are stuck in the carbs and they won't just push out, they've been there a while. Is this repairable? If I have to replace them what carb would I use, since the mikuni bs34's arn't made anymore?

Thanks

S.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was pulling the carbs apart for a good cleaning and found who ever had the bike before me tightened the idle mixture screws too tight. The tips twisted off and are stuck in the carbs and they won't just push out, they've been there a while. Is this repairable? If I have to replace them what carb would I use, since the mikuni bs34's arn't made anymore?

Thanks

S.

same thing happened to mine, I got a friend to look at them and he pushed them through from the top. It enlarged the hole but you just screw in the pilot screw in more!

Thanks that helps a lot and will save me a couple hundered bucks for new carbs.

It seems as though everyone uses the Mikuni VM34 carbs, but no one knows a base line jetting setup. Wouldn't you start with the same setup as your stock carbs. I ony ask because I figure I'll get them at some point when I have the means. Hell I just want to get the damn thing to run at this point. :blink:

Thanks that helps a lot and will save me a couple hundered bucks for new carbs.

It seems as though everyone uses the Mikuni VM34 carbs, but no one knows a base line jetting setup. Wouldn't you start with the same setup as your stock carbs. I ony ask because I figure I'll get them at some point when I have the means. Hell I just want to get the damn thing to run at this point. :blink:

I'd start with stock and run on a dyno to get the fuelling curve. then you can optimize the flow with new jets if need be.