XS400 General Info

ChrisB
This post is 5682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening, I have recently bought a new project what i think is a 1980 XS400SE the frame No starts "4G5". I am after some general info on this model. If somebody could point me in the right direction to any of the following it would be appriciated. Model Info, Workshop Manual, BEst place for Spares, etc

The bike itself i have bought has a few bits and pieces missing the side panels,petrol tank and seat. The good part is that engine runs sweet and electrics seem to be fine.

I am in 2 minds as to what to do with the bike, put it back to standard or get it on the road and use it.

Any help on the above would be appriciated

Cheers Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Evening, I have recently bought a new project what i think is a 1980 XS400SE the frame No starts "4G5". I am after some general info on this model. If somebody could point me in the right direction to any of the following it would be appriciated. Model Info, Workshop Manual, BEst place for Spares, etc

The bike itself i have bought has a few bits and pieces missing the side panels,petrol tank and seat. The good part is that engine runs sweet and electrics seem to be fine.

I am in 2 minds as to what to do with the bike, put it back to standard or get it on the road and use it.

Cheers Chris

Chris,

do a search on the forum as there's loads of stuff here.

pm me if you are still wanting!

• 1 month later...

You can't go wrong with ebay!! I restored a wrecked xs 400 from parts online. Saved a bundle over OEM. I live in New Mexico in the states but most of the parts came from a reputable junk yard in Canada. Great prices and they seem to have everything I needed. Shipping wasn't too bad. The best thing to do is keep searching online till you find a few yards that have some they are parting out.

Good Luck

Cheers Chris

I have most of the stock parts for an '81 XS400 (Heritage Special)including cast spoke wheels, all the chrome, seat, grab rail, fenders, winkers, and lots more. I picked it up bone stock with 1600 miles on the clock that had been stored by my neighbor. I cleaned the carbs and tank, charged the bat and she fired right up. I've been making a street tracker with 19" wire spoke wheels, 650 swing arm, 650 front end, dirt track seat/rear fender combo, two into one exhaust and bare bones electrical. I will let you take what you want cheap so I don't have to Ebay it. If you are interested, I can send you photos of the parts that I have. Let me know. Gearhead1

im also looking for some parts for a 1980ish 400 special...mainly the handlebar switches and the left lever. Also could use the majority of the little rubber grommets like the ones the seat slides onto and the plastic battery covers.

Try

Mikesxs.com

Oldbikebarn.com

650central.com

and try omars I don't remember the site but just do a google search.

some bits are interchangeable with the RD,s try www.yambits.co.uk also do not rule out your local dealer

if they are worth anything thee are still a surprising number of parts still available from yamaha in the uk Granbys are very good and also damerrels of st austell

• 4 weeks later...

im also looking for some parts for a 1980ish 400 special...mainly the handlebar switches and the left lever. Also could use the majority of the little rubber grommets like the ones the seat slides onto and the plastic battery covers.

I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US, Bikebandit.com carries many of the rubber parts, although some of the key parts don't see to be available anywhere. As for the handlebar switches and such, ebay seems to have a really good selection of parts, often in very good if not almost new condition. Some parts are hard to find, but overall it's not too hard to build one from the ground up (I have even seen complete frames and wiring harnesses).

• 6 months later...

If looking for original parts numbers for the XS400 or other yamaha bikes go to www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx. This shouldd get you to yamaha's parts catalog, pick year, model then look at part catalog to get pickture of parts and numbers. :)

• 6 months later...

....I will let you take what you want cheap so I don't have to Ebay it. If you are interested, I can send you photos of the parts that I have. Let me know. Gearhead1

hey: i just got an 81 400 special from the scrap metal yard. someone tried to rewire the fuses and it's a mess. can you tell me which wires go where? lol.... i can send a pic if necessary.

hey: i just got an 81 400 special from the scrap metal yard. someone tried to rewire the fuses and it's a mess. can you tell me which wires go where? lol.... i can send a pic if necessary.

You can get a copy of the XS360 - XS400 shop manual here: XS400 shop manual

wiring diagrams are in the back by model no. See pg 1291

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online