R1 not running at the right Temp?

R1alex
This post is 6180 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Need help.......!!

Just got a 99 R1 lovely bike done 14k

Only problem is that it doesn't seem to hold temp and constantly drops to read LO on display?!

Is this just normal on them?

Any else suffered this problem is it common?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Need help.......!!

Only problem is that it doesn't seem to hold temp and constantly drops to read LO on display?!

New to R1's myself but i would say No it's not normal!...according to the manual mine displays LO if the temp is under 49degC (i think) then it sits around 75 degC after riding for a bit...Have you checked the radiator cap is working correctly? cheers Chris

Hi,

No definately normal,it should only read LO when you first start it and is below proper operating temp. I would check your radiator cap (as mentioned), header tank, and maybe temperature sensor. Are you losing any water??

Need help.......!!

HI DONT RIDE R1 BUT MY BIKE WAS DOING THE OPP READING HIGH ALL TIME , CHANGED LOADS BITS SPENT A FORTUNE . THE ANSWER BAD CONNECTION ON WIRING LOOM -WHEN SWITCHING ON LIGHTS WAS CROSSING CIRCUIT . MIGHT HELP

Hi,

No definately normal,it should only read LO when you first start it and is below proper operating temp. I would check your radiator cap (as mentioned), header tank, and maybe temperature sensor. Are you losing any water??

Have you tried checking your thermostat works, just replace it, it'd cost you about £25 and is do.

Have you tried checking your thermostat works, just replace it, it'd cost you about £25 and is do.

hi there

BEFORE you spend any money replacing ANYTHING, I recommend you do the following...

remove the carbon-look panel under the clutch lever, just behind the LHS headlight. It's one phillips screw & one 1/4 turn quick release screw.

underneath you'll see a large white block connector - this is what links the front section of the wiring loom to the main loom on the bike. It is a known problem spot on the early R1's.

The two halves of the connector come apart once you release the clip holding them together. This can be a bit tricky if it's never been apart before! It may be easier for you to also remove the LHS mid fairing panel.

Once apart, give all the connections a good clean [carfeully!] and make sure you spray it well with silicone spray or WD40.

You may see some obvious signs of corrosion - lovely green fur.

Once clean & back together, try starting your bike & letting it run to normal temp. Hopefully it will show 'Lo' for just a few minutes max, then it will show 40deg & then keep rising [eventually until the fan kicks in]

If it isn't the big white connector, then chances are it could also be:

the temperature sender which sends the signal from the rad to the clocks [check the connections at the rad]

loose connection at the back of the clocks

faulty thermostat [when the bike is hot has the level of coolant in the expansion bottle risen?]

faulty or insecure radiator cap

BUT check the big white connector first, before spending time/money elsewhere.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online