Compatible wheels for '79 SR500?

Bhodi513
This post is 6199 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently purchased a '79 SR500 and am looking to put spoke wheels on it. I have been told XS650 fronts and TT/XT rears will bolt right on it. I have rear disc wheels and am assuming I will only be able to find drum rears with spokes. I know I will have to weld on a tab for the anti-rotation bar for the drum. Anyone have any definitive answers on what wheels I should be searching the junkyards/Ebay for? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not been able to find any absolute info on this. I have access to some minor machining but it's very limited. Thanks again in advance.

Bhodi

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I recently purchased a '79 SR500 and am looking to put spoke wheels on it. I have been told XS650 fronts and TT/XT rears will bolt right on it. I have rear disc wheels and am assuming I will only be able to find drum rears with spokes. I know I will have to weld on a tab for the anti-rotation bar for the drum. Anyone have any definitive answers on what wheels I should be searching the junkyards/Ebay for? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not been able to find any absolute info on this. I have access to some minor machining but it's very limited. Thanks again in advance.

Bhodi

I'm converting my xs400 wheels over to wires with disks, they were fitted to european xs250's and Rd400's (18") and fit straight on. Sr's run an 19" front i think and a 18" rear? if you can get the hubs to fit (i used an SR500 left caliper and mount for dual front disks) then you can get them relaced onto the matching rims.

drewpy

I'm converting my xs400 wheels over to wires with disks, they were fitted to european xs250's and Rd400's (18") and fit straight on. Sr's run an 19" front i think and a 18" rear? if you can get the hubs to fit (i used an SR500 left caliper and mount for dual front disks) then you can get them relaced onto the matching rims.

drewpy

So you think if I can find some xs400 hubs I can lace up some wheels for my SR? How much work do you think it would take to get the hubs to fit? Thanks.

So you think if I can find some xs400 hubs I can lace up some wheels for my SR? How much work do you think it would take to get the hubs to fit? Thanks.

If you want i'll measure mine with the spacers and then if you measure inside your forks you will get a clearer idea!

If you want i'll measure mine with the spacers and then if you measure inside your forks you will get a clearer idea!

Thanks for your help. I keep getting told that XS650 wheels will bolt right on in the front and rears will work with a little help. My local junkyard has a set on a bike there. Spokes are dusted but can get new spokes front and rear for about $50 so I think I will pick them up. Gonna tear em apart and try to polish them up. Not sure what I'm getting myself into but I'm sure it will go well with some beers!

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for your help. I keep getting told that XS650 wheels will bolt right on in the front and rears will work with a little help. My local junkyard has a set on a bike there. Spokes are dusted but can get new spokes front and rear for about $50 so I think I will pick them up. Gonna tear em apart and try to polish them up. Not sure what I'm getting myself into but I'm sure it will go well with some beers!

Thanks again for your help!

just keep your eye on the disk offset, and be prepared to shim. xs605's had 2 different brake systems from earlier models to later.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online