I bought a 74 TX500

phoebe
This post is 4534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I bought a non-running TX500 for almost nothing, and my boyfriend and I are going to do all the work of restoring it ourselves. Besides replacing broken parts (already ordered) getting new tires (no way am I going to trust these ones) doing routine maintenance, and repainting, is there anything else we should probably do? We'll have the engine apart because it's seized, so if we can make any improvements while we're in there, we might as well. I don't care about increasing the performance. I am thinking in terms of reliability first, fuel economy second. I read some article about the 750cc version which said you shouldn't go above 4000 rpms in spite of the higher redline. It said that certain design flaws cause problems that don't offer much warning. Specifically, a poorly designed oiling system and the main bearings. Another site said that the heads are prone to cracking. Can we do anything about these issues besides keeping the revs low?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone,

I bought a non-running TX500 for almost nothing, and my boyfriend and I are going to do all the work of restoring it ourselves. Besides replacing broken parts (already ordered) getting new tires (no way am I going to trust these ones) doing routine maintenance, and repainting, is there anything else we should probably do? We'll have the engine apart because it's seized, so if we can make any improvements while we're in there, we might as well. I don't care about increasing the performance. I am thinking in terms of reliability first, fuel economy second. I read some article about the 750cc version which said you shouldn't go above 4000 rpms in spite of the higher redline. It said that certain design flaws cause problems that don't offer much warning. Specifically, a poorly designed oiling system and the main bearings. Another site said that the heads are prone to cracking. Can we do anything about these issues besides keeping the revs low?

need to check the counterbalance system as the chains can wear. The problems occur when owners don't change the oil at regular intervals so causing seizures in the top end (and cracking the head as it overheats)

never heard of a 750cc version and 4k rev ceiling would mean 50mphish top speed on standard gearing!!!!

I don't have one of these bikes, and they were rare in blighty. A few VJMC members have restored one and I would advise joing the american chapter and asking there.

• 4 years later...

never mind, just noticed OP is at least 4 years old..... My bad!!

Edited by tdb

This post is 4534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.