XS Cafe Racer

curdy
This post is 6205 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Who here has made a cafe racer from there XS? Looking to do some cool stuff to my '78 400 and would love to see some inspirational pictures!!! I thought I saw a thread on here before, but maybe it was a different site.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Who here has made a cafe racer from there XS? Looking to do some cool stuff to my '78 400 and would love to see some inspirational pictures!!! I thought I saw a thread on here before, but maybe it was a different site.

I like this one

nicexs400.jpg

more

xs_drilled_chain.jpg

That's close to what I'm going to go for I think. Matte black though. Any thoughts on how to make the bubble on the back of the seat like that on the original pan off the bike? Fiberglass?

Love the header wrap too. Heard its not good for them though...any advice?

That's close to what I'm going to go for I think. Matte black though. Any thoughts on how to make the bubble on the back of the seat like that on the original pan off the bike? Fiberglass?

Love the header wrap too. Heard its not good for them though...any advice?

easy, buy from here

http://www.omarsdtr.com/homeend.html

header wrap keeps the gasses hot and draws the heat away from the engine (and rider) that's why the're used, just gets mucky after a bit and have to re-do occasionaly

Stafford this weekend, and weather's great...yippee

easy, buy from here

http://www.omarsdtr.com/homeend.html

header wrap keeps the gasses hot and draws the heat away from the engine (and rider) that's why the're used, just gets mucky after a bit and have to re-do occasionaly

Stafford this weekend, and weather's great...yippee

Cool stuff. I'm going to try to make one myself with the original pan. I'll see how that goes first.

There's a 2 into 1 exhaust for sale on ebay I've been looking at. It was pulled from 81 XS400H, guy said it'll fit mine. Already black too. It'll set me back $110. Item number: 320107634527

Which do you think would look better...straight pipes or the 2 into 1? Obviously straight pipes will be cheaper.

Cool stuff. I'm going to try to make one myself with the original pan. I'll see how that goes first.

There's a 2 into 1 exhaust for sale on ebay I've been looking at. It was pulled from 81 XS400H, guy said it'll fit mine. Already black too. It'll set me back $110. Item number: 320107634527

Which do you think would look better...straight pipes or the 2 into 1? Obviously straight pipes will be cheaper.

looks like you would have to paint that exhaust.

not sure its worth making a seat, It would be cheaper to buy a glass fibre one already made and modify the frame. The narrow seats are a feature of a cafe racer.

What's the difference between Cafe Racer and Clubman Racer? On the site you sent me about a seat (http://www.omarsdtr.com/homeend.html) the Clubman has more of a bare bones/stripped down look to it - which is more of what I'm going for. Given my understanding of the definitions, I thought it would be more the other way around.

What's the difference between Cafe Racer and Clubman Racer? On the site you sent me about a seat (http://www.omarsdtr.com/homeend.html) the Clubman has more of a bare bones/stripped down look to it - which is more of what I'm going for. Given my understanding of the definitions, I thought it would be more the other way around.

clubmans comes from the fact that these are raced on the club circuit, so would be stripped down to bare essentials for racing purposes.

cafe racers are road bikes and were used to break the "ton" in the sixties, so needed clip on's and rear sets etc.

Any tips on paint? I've just about got the whole thing apart. I figured I should get something tough on the frame so it will last as long as possible. I would rather have a flat or satin finish...powder coat? Also, what style bars would you recommend? I prefer an old school look, black, and not like it belongs on a modern crotch rocket.

Any tips on paint? I've just about got the whole thing apart. I figured I should get something tough on the frame so it will last as long as possible. I would rather have a flat or satin finish...powder coat? Also, what style bars would you recommend? I prefer an old school look, black, and not like it belongs on a modern crotch rocket.

Powder coat, and you can get it in satin. clip on's if your doing the cafe/clubmans look! (don't forget rear sets)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online