NEED HELP! First bike

curdy
This post is 5675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there. Brand new to the site!

A friendly neighbor gave me his '78 XS400 that he no longer had the time for. When he got it he did ride it home (like 8 yrs ago?) He said he had the engine fixed up around that time, but had not run it since. I'm no expert, but I can tell the cylinders move and have compression. I would say that if I can get the engine started, I would be in decent shape of I replaced the cables, tires, and brakes. The pipes could use some work too.

So the first order of business it to do a fluid change, get a new battery, replace the spark plugs and keep my fingers crossed that sitting so long hasn't gummed it all up too bad. I figure if I can confirm that it'll run, then I'll rebuild the carb (if it really needs it) and move forward with the cables, tires, brakes, etc. I'll post some pictures soon.

I was hoping that you guys could provide some tips on what to look for and keep in mind.

Major thing I was hoping was that you guys could point me in the direction of some good parts web sites. Ebay is great, but it helps to have an official site to reference for the correct parts...than search for those on Ebay.

Thanks for the help!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i recently came to this forum too

i just got my first real bike, a 77 xs360, so i am in a similar position as you

I'm no expert, but I can tell the cylinders move and have compression.

you may want to use a compression gauge to make sure they have equal compression

So the first order of business it to do a fluid change, get a new battery, replace the spark plugs and keep my fingers crossed that sitting so long hasn't gummed it all up too bad.

you sound like you know whats going on

you may also want to get new points and set the gap

check the wires too

if your bike is like mine and you need to replace the wires, you have to cut off the old ones and splice in new ones

it was actually very easy and simple to do... but only if you have to...

you may also want to check into getting a new condensor

and also adjusting the valves (i havent done this yet myself, but from what i hear its rather easy)

I figure if I can confirm that it'll run, then I'll rebuild the carb (if it really needs it) and move forward with the cables, tires, brakes, etc. I'll post some pictures soon.

not a bad idea... first you can just take the carbs apart and clean them yourself

make sure not to use carb cleaner on any of the rubber parts or gaskets

then you can adjust the sync eventually if you have to

if your carbs are like mine, it is a little screw on the rod that connects the throttles

I was hoping that you guys could provide some tips on what to look for and keep in mind.

Major thing I was hoping was that you guys could point me in the direction of some good parts web sites. Ebay is great, but it helps to have an official site to reference for the correct parts...than search for those on Ebay.

Thanks for the help!!!

ebay has been my major source so far. a local bike store had some odds and ends... thats where i got the wires and splicing equipment, they also had a new throttle cable when mine snapped...

here is a link to a site that seems like it has parts but i havent used it myself

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/motorcycles/Yamaha.php

i also recommend getting a shop manual

i got a haynes off of ebay for $25

Thanks for the tips. I'll check that site out. I looked on bikebandit.com and they had a nice set up for searching for parts...only problem is that most of the major parts are now discontinued. I just ordered a manual from ebay, along with spark plugs and an oil filter.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of parts and years that will work on my bike?

Thanks!

you need to tell us which model xs you have as there are about 4 variants

you need to tell us which model xs you have as there are about 4 variants

Yeah, sorry about that! I realized that after I posted it. I was waiting for my repair manual to come in so I could id it. I got home on Friday and there it was for me.

Its a 1978 XS400 2E. The manual did give me an idea of what bikes will have similar parts...so my question seems to be answered so far.

BUT, any additional info would be great!!!

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online