FZ 600 not starting - Possible battery

cwodavids
This post is 6250 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Help needed!!!

I have a 03 Yamaha Fazer Fz600 and the battery has drained over winter and it has an MoT tomorrow morning. When I put it on charge again for a couple of hours it doesn’t seem to be enough to start the bike. I get a clicking noise from near the battery when I press the start switch(assuming it’s the relay) and from under the seat when the ignition is on.

I tried to use a battery from my brothers scooter (New battery and fully charged, showing 12.11volts) but to no avail? Is it because the battery is defective or the immobiliser is not letting it start? I can change the battery tomorrow but if i do will i need to use the red key to reset the immobiliser?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Help needed!!!

I have a 03 Yamaha Fazer Fz600 and the battery has drained over winter and it has an MoT tomorrow morning. When I put it on charge again for a couple of hours it doesn’t seem to be enough to start the bike. I get a clicking noise from near the battery when I press the start switch(assuming it’s the relay) and from under the seat when the ignition is on.

I tried to use a battery from my brothers scooter (New battery and fully charged, showing 12.11volts) but to no avail? Is it because the battery is defective or the immobiliser is not letting it start? I can change the battery tomorrow but if i do will i need to use the red key to reset the immobiliser?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Dave.

I've a 2003 Fazer 600 too, done less than 3K miles since new (!).

Tried to start her on new years eve, but no joy - dead battery. Have recently purchased a new battery from ebay (£45 inc postage) but not put it on the bike yet. I had a battery tender wired up to her, should have kept it in good shape but I think the aftermarket alarm was too much for it (with the very low usage).

The battery was showing 12.7V but as soon as the starter was thumbed, dropped below 12 (and won't start).

If the engine is in reasonable shape, try to bump start her in second gear (should be easy), take her for a spin and check the voltage across the terminals whilst the engine is running - should be about 13.8V whilst running, otherwise the alternator is suspect. If, after an hours ride, she won't start on the switch - battery is probably no good.

From your info, I guess the battery is a goner.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had a 99 T ZX6R which had a aftermarket alarm on it which ate batteries for breakfast while bike stored, as for your problem the bike not starting with a good battery fitted its unlikely to be an immobiliser system causing issue if its making a relay clicking noise because immobiliseer doing job would mean everything would be dead not a sound and if you know the battery you checked bike with capable of starting bike and in good shape then fault not with battery so I would consider a seized starter motor, solenoid doing its job on starter but internals on starter seized. I have never worked on fazer before but if you can get to it try tapping starter motor on casing with light mallet or hammer while trying to start and listening to clicking. Another Q is can you bump start it if so it points finger at starter even more.

if you have a flat battery its best left on charge at least over night (off the bike) but a full day will not hurt if you have a decent charger. dont forget most will only charge at @3amp/hour or less unless you can boost charge it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online