Carb and Air Filter Question

grill_nutt
This post is 6279 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The XS400D I picked up last weekend is missing the airfilter boxes and the boots to link them to the carbs.

I have Mikuni BS34's on there and wanted to know if I can just add the "POD" filters that I see for sale everywhere - and if so, do I still need to find a set of boots to link them to the carbs and can I still get the side panels on.

Also - Are the Mikuni BS34's - the same BS34's that I see used on much newer bikes?

I find it odd that they are on the 77 xs400 - and same BS34's seem to be on the 80-84 XS650's.

Can I swap them out for a set of BS38's which were used on the 76 - 79 XS650's?

I am sooo stoked to get this bike up and back on the road again. What I promised my wife would be a little bike to take apart and learn the inner workings of motorcycles is going to be a restoration - I can just feel it!

Thanks for all the help

G

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The XS400D I picked up last weekend is missing the airfilter boxes and the boots to link them to the carbs.

I have Mikuni BS34's on there and wanted to know if I can just add the "POD" filters that I see for sale everywhere - and if so, do I still need to find a set of boots to link them to the carbs and can I still get the side panels on.

Also - Are the Mikuni BS34's - the same BS34's that I see used on much newer bikes?

I find it odd that they are on the 77 xs400 - and same BS34's seem to be on the 80-84 XS650's.

Can I swap them out for a set of BS38's which were used on the 76 - 79 XS650's?

I am sooo stoked to get this bike up and back on the road again. What I promised my wife would be a little bike to take apart and learn the inner workings of motorcycles is going to be a restoration - I can just feel it!

Thanks for all the help

G

There are plenty of spares around, and I would keep it stock as the carburation would be out and especially if you are restoring the bike. The pods do fit straight on the bike carbs, then you would need to change the jetting to compensate for the increased air flow.

Fitting bs38's would lose tractability of the bike as you are losing the high airflow on the intake because your using larger carbs. Great if you are racing and keeping the bike in the 9k+ rev mark!

BTW for spare carbs, the xs750/850's use the same carb but with differrent jets ;)

Anyone know a good source for air filters for a 77 XS400 in the US?

Thanks

G

yamaha dealer will have them and speed & sport, bikebandit, motogrid

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online