XS400 Model ID???

grill_nutt
This post is 6285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently bought a project bike without papers on Ebay and got it home last night.

It's mainly a bike to tinker on and learn more in-depth repairs so I don't jepordize my daily ride ( 77 XS650D ).

Anyway, the owner had no real details other that in being a 77 400. There are no side panels and the ID #'s state it was manufactured in 1/77 and other than that it gives no size or model #.

I believe it's an XS400D - but figured you guys can help me verify.

The VIN # starts with 2A2 - which I've seen ID'd on some European pages as a 78 - but might be different seeing as this is an American bike.

Click the link ( I hope ) to see a pic - just looking to verify the year, model and size.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bowens405/de...jpg&.src=ph

Thanks for this forum and I look forward to hearing from you all.

G

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Recently bought a project bike without papers on Ebay and got it home last night.

It's mainly a bike to tinker on and learn more in-depth repairs so I don't jepordize my daily ride ( 77 XS650D ).

Anyway, the owner had no real details other that in being a 77 400. There are no side panels and the ID #'s state it was manufactured in 1/77 and other than that it gives no size or model #.

I believe it's an XS400D - but figured you guys can help me verify.

The VIN # starts with 2A2 - which I've seen ID'd on some European pages as a 78 - but might be different seeing as this is an American bike.

Click the link ( I hope ) to see a pic - just looking to verify the year, model and size.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bowens405/de...jpg&.src=ph

Thanks for this forum and I look forward to hearing from you all.

G

Yep an early 77' bike as the wheels are not painted. They are 400D in USA and 400C in europe. the CC's should be cast into the lower front barrels 398cc (xs400), 249cc(xs250) or 358cc(xs360)

drewpy

Thanks Drewpy!

Was hoping I might hear from you.

Great rennovation by the way!!!!!

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but where are the lower front barrels specifically?

Not sure if you are planning on watch the Super Bowl, but in case you are, have a great time!

GO COLTS!!!!!

Thanks

G

Thanks Drewpy!

Was hoping I might hear from you.

Great rennovation by the way!!!!!

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but where are the lower front barrels specifically?

Not sure if you are planning on watch the Super Bowl, but in case you are, have a great time!

GO COLTS!!!!!

Thanks

G

thanks for the compliment!

the lower front barrels are the bit where the last of the cooling fins are at the front, about 100mm above the oil filter housing.

drewpy

Looks like a 400D as you say i think the 250.s had drum rear brakes

Merv

360's had drum brakes front and rear and I think 250's only sold in europe where they both had drum or disk options. the "cruisers" had rear drums along with 16" alloys at the rear.

the reason I suggested to look at the casting, is that it is a straight forward swop to change the SOHC engines around.

drewpy