Trial - v - Road Tyres

Cupid Stunt!
This post is 6321 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been a reader for a while just registered and here I am. I always said that I would never join a club that would have me as a member… but here I am. There is a first time for everything, including me asking for advice.

I’m currently riding a DT125RE (04) which has Michelin T63 road legal tyres factory fitted. These are the ONLY tyres Yamaha recommend for this ride. I never “ride off road” am just a lover of the DT!

Now half worn I'm looking to replace these tired tyres but after having felt the back end slip away a little once upon a corner, I’m tempted to fit road tyres. I’m now convincing myself that these T63 tyres are no good for 100% road use.

I have toyed around with the idea of fitting wheels from a DT125X (the “supermoto” styled thing) but the forks will need changing to suit the oversize disc and calliper etc… it all seems a little toooooooooooooo much a carry-on, and expense.

So, have we any ideas?

Thanks for reading chaps and I look forward to you wading through all of the replies!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does your DT have spoked wheels or are they cast.

If it is the former if you want radial road tyres new wheels are in order. The shouldn't be too much trouble getting tyres for them all you need to do is make sure you get the right size and profile.

Ps. :welcome:

To gain better road handling you needn't convert it to SM. What I recommend you do is look into buying some Avon Distanzia AM43 and AM44 tyres. They'll transform your bike from a twitchy scrambler into a carving machine. My DTR ran a 90/90-21 up front and a 4.10-18 on the rear.

Excellent!!!

Sounds more like it. :D

When you say "They transform your bike from a twitchy scrambler into a carving machine" I take it your confidence is in these black-bands right?

You've got my attention now like, any ideas of cost or any special fitting instructions etc…?

Cheers Mate.... where the yellow pages!

Steven.

Excellent!!!

Sounds more like it. :D

When you say "They transform your bike from a twitchy scrambler into a carving machine" I take it your confidence is in these black-bands right?

You've got my attention now like, any ideas of cost or any special fitting instructions etc…?

Cheers Mate.... where the yellow pages!

Steven.

Oh yes I ran these on my DT after I killed my trail tyres. They'll be slippery to begin with but a few miles of riding sorts that out and then you'll be able to lean the bike over a lot more and it will ride smoother as they aren't a gnarly tyre.

Just pop down to a local bike dealer and request Avon Distanzia AM43 and AM44 tyres. I got mine for £130 supplied and fitted to loose rims.

I have decided to go for the Avon tyres after hearing great reports on the AM43 and AM44 set-up.

I've looked on Avon's website for sizes and it appears there is only one choice for the front, an AM43 90/90-21 and I’m not to sure about the AM44 rear. Is it best to go for the widest tyre that will fit or what?

The T63 tyres always give the DT that excellent styling look, what does the Avon tyres look like… any pics?

Cheers Lads!

Steven.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online