Newbie needing advice

wind
This post is 6312 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sometimes you accidentally find something that works, even though it is so far fetched its pathetic. I have always been under the assumption that if it is not a Harley, its a playtoy -- -- yeah I know, -- -- it's arrogant, if not ignorant as heck --but then life can be that way sometimes .

I have recently discovered that I just don't have the strength in my legs and arms that I used to have in the 1940s and 1950s. Riding around had lost a lot of it's pleasure because of the sheer weight of the machine I was riding. I accidentally ran across a young gentleman on a small Yamaha and after riding with him for a while, he asked if he could ride my Harley for a few miles and so we swapped for a while. The joy of just being able to throw the bike around in traffic, the control and feel was absolutely perfect until we get out on the road and there was just not enough meat to do the job, close but no cigar. The machine was a Yamaha 250 -- -- yeah, -- -- I know and I never thought I would be talking about buying something this small -- much less a Yamaha. To me, riding is about the freedom and joy of the open road and the machine and rider. In my latter years if something gives me joy, I don't care if its a BMW, triumph, Indian or what ever.

I need to figure out if it is a sensible endeavor to try and get a little more meat out of the engine and trick the suspension out a little. I am not worried about the money -- well within reason -- as much as I am the finished product. It seems Yamaha has neglected the 300 through 450 line in their manufacturing processes.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome, for I know absolutely nothing about Japanese motorcycle's. I am almost at a complete loss here.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you bought the bike yet? which model are you looking at RD250, XS250? how about a RD400 bit more go same size bike or an xs 400 more modern we had 4 cylinder 400,s here an fz or something like that, the japanese market was a good place for 400,s and a lot were exported secondhand my son has a 400 suzuki bandit 60 bhp not over heavy. or a modern trail bike, they are light and perform well mch m,ore suiteable ridng position for the older person (not sprawled across the tank with clip ons)

Merv

have you bought the bike yet? which model are you looking at RD250, XS250? how about a RD400 bit more go same size bike or an xs 400 more modern we had 4 cylinder 400,s here an fz or something like that, the japanese market was a good place for 400,s and a lot were exported secondhand my son has a 400 suzuki bandit 60 bhp not over heavy. or a modern trail bike, they are light and perform well mch m,ore suiteable ridng position for the older person (not sprawled across the tank with clip ons)

Merv

The only Virago model offered is the 2007 Virago 250. The next up is a V Star 650 and nothing in between. I also found an old used 2 cylinder Honda 450, plenty of meat but the feel is way off. As I said, money is not the reason for choosing this bike, its the feel and joy of riding. I have $21,000.00 saved up to just blow on this project. I know someone that can trick the suspension out but don't know anyone that knows anything about Yamaha or Japanese bike engines whatsoever.

I have no concept how much you can overbore the cylinder walls but I would imagine about 15 thousands and there is always the possibility of a turbocharger. I am really serious about this and am really hoping to get some help on overcoming the power problem -- a good reasonable and workable solution.

thanks so much

aha virago not my forte i am afraid, how about kawasaki they did a 450 ltd at one time here

500 vulcan sems to be the nearest i can see now http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=219

merv

Hehe, everyone to thier own cup of tea. I guess, Tuesday I will grab about $15,000 and go to the dealer in Athens for they have Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, Ducati, Yamaha- and one block futher-- 2 other dealers. I was hoping to find someone here that knew this little cycle and all of its potentual so I could go armed with knowledge.

21,ooo is making me excited. can i ask i would really like to see what you buy and do with it as it sounds to me like it will a good project and i would liek to see the outcome.

as far as bike. for the 250 i think would be too small and no amount of money would build it up to what you really want in my opinion. i would go for something like merv said. an rd400 or similar. good bike and the trick up options are enourmous. alternatively do you have things like the fazer 400? thats a cylinder with good potential as well.

best of luck to you

Tom

If you want more power just buy a bigger bike! There's no logic in trying to trying to make something out of a small machine.

I completely understand your point but I think you have completely missed mine. I have a bigger bike now, in fact 3 bigger bikes. I have a Aerial square 4, I have an Indian Chieftain, I have a 2006 Harley Heritage softail with a Edelbrock Performance upgrade (pistons, cylinders and roller rockers). Problem--tooooooo heavy. I feel I have one more good ride left in me and I want it to be a good one---thusly----light machine. My friend is trying to talk me into a M 50 but that sucker weighs 540lbs. if that virago was a 275 or 300 it would be good to go, soooo close.

With enough age you loose strength in both your arms and legs, and I was born in 1925.

I think I now have what I need for I received a nice Email. He understood that I don't want a lot more power, just enough to maintain highway speed.

His suggestions was to put an aftermarket larger diameter exhaust on. Then put a better air cleaner on that was less restrictive. Then add a needlejet kit to barely increase fuel flow. He also suggested going 2 or 3 teeth larger on the rear sprocket and increasing the chain-link to fit -- or buying a longer chain in order to keep the same wheelbase.

He stated that was what he had done on his 175 and it really helped a lot. He also said that another thing that helped was him going on a diet -- it helped him and it also helped the bike. :rolleyes:

I am selling my other bikes today. I told Frank early this morning that I was going to sell my bikes and he said the Harley was his, Jude took the Indian and Eugene bought the square 4. It took less than an hour and a half.

So I will be going to Cycle World at 1 oclock to check out some bikes.

1925! Great respect and more power to your elbow, oh Wind. Keep winding it on. B

Not wishing to state the obvious, have you thought about a trike or sidecar outfit? (be a shame to neglect that lovely delectable iron..... Thou shalt not covet they neighbour's wife, nor the ox he keeps in a midden, But thank The Lord you're not forbidden to covet thy neigbour's old Indian).

Hope I'm still capable of strapping leather if I survive to your age.

:welcome: to the forum Wind!

Now, I know this isn't necessarily going in the right direction as far as power is concerned :unsure: .....

But have you ever considered one of these?.....

06_xt225_blkblu_01.jpg

They only weigh about 250lbs. fully gassed.....have an electric start :thumb: .....& you can ride 'em ANYWHERE B)

I got to test ride an '05 model last year for a friend who finally got back onto a bike after a 20 year hiatus due to a MX accident where he lost use of his left arm. :blink:

We then took it back to his place & immediately modified it for him to ride.....1 Armed! B) .....

1ArmedXT.jpg

My friend loves his XT......& is planning on doing upgrades to the exhaust & carb this year.....which should yield a bit more power out of it.

Very user-friendly machine....excellent brakes......& really quite flickable in the steering dept. ;)

well best of luck, you had a nice collection there would not mind a squariel myself

i have a 650 honda trailie and that is actually lighter than my sons 400 bandit but it is very tall to swing your leg over, but i hope i am still biking at 82 years old, Len Vale-Onslow was still riding a bike at 100 years old and was stilll breathing when i contacted his son a couple of years ago

merv

well best of luck, you had a nice collection there would not mind a squariel myself

i have a 650 honda trailie and that is actually lighter than my sons 400 bandit but it is very tall to swing your leg over, but i hope i am still biking at 82 years old, Len Vale-Onslow was still riding a bike at 100 years old and was stilll breathing when i contacted his son a couple of years ago

merv

He died about a year ago I think merv.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online