2006 R6 - That Shift Indicator thing...

emale1975
This post is 6220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Just passed my test a week ago and my 2006 R6 was delivered this morning with "0" miles :-D

Anyway, to run it in the book says "no more than 8500 rpm for 1000 miles"... There still seems like plenty of poke AFAIAC nearly hitting 90 and nowhere near 6000 nevermind 8...

Its all happys days BUT... just read the manual again, the Shift Change Indicator on the lower right of the console I understand can be reprogrammed which is a gucci idea... but someone missed a trick when it came to running it in in the first place...

I thought that "why don't I change this level to 8500 so I know that I won't be going over it (too often for the min)" which would be okay, but the book tells me that you can only reprogram > 10k.... I would have thought esp. a newbie have a big light that tells me "oi you're still running the bike it you numbty"

I just think is an opportunity missed that could help with running in a new bike...

I did touch the powerband slightly today but I think I'm going to need a stickier pair of gloves to hang on!!!

Anyway, bottom line, does anyone know if you can get the 'darn' thing to light up at 8500rpm?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't know about the programming on the new R6 so sorry.

All I can say is after you have run it in and want to try the power wait till you are on a nice long, straight and clear road so you can get used to it.

And :welcome:

• 3 months later...

yeah you can!

but hey - dont pussy about doing all that bollox running in!

hammer it from new - its better for the bike! let it decelerate properly to prevent glazing of parts too.

i hammered my gsxr 600 06 from new - changed the oil after 20 miles - loadsa metal flakes out!

then at 600 dealer service - then hammered it to 1000miles - changed oil again (more very small flakes out)to fully synth and new k & n hi flo oil filter - bike now on 1850 miles and strong as an ox - better pull than my mates r6 06 plate and he run his in as per the manual!

will be changing oil again at 2000 - i dont believe you should wait from 600 mile service to 4000 service! i've seen the shit that comes outa the oil!

run in as you like! - after all - the bike has a warranty!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online