European Ride 2007

DamoR1
This post is 6213 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Any suggestions for routes accross Europe.

I am off for a jolly up with some mates, some have ridden abroad before and some have'nt, but its alway's good to find twisty road and route suggestions.

Would be good to hear your stories too.

Cheers

Damo

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Damo

Depending on how long you want to spend on 'some of the finest, smooooothest and damned fine ,roads in Europe, but i can highly suggest and i know many will agree - yes the N85 The Route Napolean.

From Grenoble in SW France to Nice. Fast/slow sweeping bends awsome views and passes through mountains.

Or like my first adventure me and a friend started at Dover across to Calais then covered France, Switzland, Austria, Germany, Holland and Belgium in 11 days. Covering the likes of the Furka Pass, Grimsel pass, mamouth amounts of mountain passes and lakes. Oh yes, we stopped off at the Nurburgring on route to Holland.

All this and we covered just short of 2000miles!

We done this in August 2005 - 11months after i passed my test!( I was on an F650 Funduro on this trip - broke down every morning without fail(Damp)

Or last year as it is now 2007 - we decided to tour France taking in the N85, Nice, Monte Carlo, Cannes and the Cote de azure.

The roads twist and turn with fantastic views.

Cost wise - apart from servicing my bike (2000 Thundercat) including ferry (see the site for Speed Ferries Dover to Bolougne cheap cat crossings - best service i have ever had), first night hotel usually a holiday inn sought of thing £25 quid sharing and breaky average 7euros.

After that its camping all the way unless you find a B+B or nice hotel at a good price.

Petrol is cheaper good on me Cat as i can easily see 220+miles before the light comes on.

Anyway - i need to point out that we didn't use any toll roads at all, so no toll fees and cruised at an average 60mph(dull to some i know, but this way you get to see the places where you are not just a warp speed blur!)

Right - er, oh yes camping is cheap Switzland was the dearest at around £15 a night, but all the facilities were free (showers, toilets etc)

All the sites we stayed at were great with good site facilities and resturants.

So - if you want to set a budget i took €300. This covered everything except petrol which i put on VISA and this didnt even come to over £100. And i still had change to get duty free on the way home.

If you want a more detailed route idea please mail me at [email protected] and i will be happy to suggest some ideas - from what i have done!

The one key point i would personnaly suggest - dont bother with a Sat Nav - Take a map and a phrase book.

We got lost on several occasions and with only the knoledge of the languages i did at school, we got by and it was fun. You get to see other roads and sites that you would not have if you stuck to a Sat Nav.

One thing i noticed was that if you make an effort to speak the language of that country they show you more respect and are a lot more helpful.

Apart from the above - DO NOT FORGET - RIDE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD. My mate forgot when pulling out of a petrol station in Vesoul france much to my amusement, but not to the cars approaching, some how i dont think they would have appreciated a Honda hood ornament!

This year we have not decided what to do - yet. Maybe the Swiss alps again - never a dull moment. Or go down to Spain, not done that yet, as mad as it may seem but i fancy Prague or Russia!

Anyway - good luck and please ask for any further ideas or advice. :D

Thunderass

I leave in the Burgundy region which is on the way to Switzerland.

If anyone fancies a ride out let me know and I can meet you up somewhere.

Also I can get in touch with some local bikers to find out about decent routes and campsites.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thunderass.

That sounds like some amazing routes you have done.

Paul

yeah mate, we will be heading your way, lloks like we are on our way in september and should be a few of us.

I've got 5 close mates all confirmed so far, 2 R1s, 3 GSXR1000's and a big fat slow Hybusa.

We are off to France this bank holiday weekend 3rd - 7th may for a little ride too.

keep in touch.

Damo.

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken a VFR from London to Slovakia. Going through France, Belgium (for croissant breakfast), Germany (Overnight stay in Boppard - Fantastic place, plenty of wine), on through Bavaria (Overnight stay in Augsberg) and then back up to the autobahn at Regenburg, through Austria (stay the night in St Poellten) and then arrive in Poprad Slovakia by lunchtime on the 4th day.

Maximum riding time each day would be around 6 hours, plenty of petrol and food/drink stops and not one day leaving before 9am (except the first day).

Had a totally brillaint time - the roads in Germany are unbeatable. Flat, smooth, twisty and plenty of vision. I wouldn't say it was the best route because I had a deadline and visited friends in Augsberg. A trip around Germany and Austria only would be awesome.

Bloody Knackered !

We are still planning the Ride in September and hope to take in as much as we can. we're gonna head down through Belgium to Germany and play around in the Alps for 5 day's, It should take in some of Bulgaria and Austria etc too.

But

I got back last night from 4 day's in France.

Me and a mate ( Also ) on an R1 got the night ferry to La Havre, then took 5 hours and plenty of smooth, twisty country roads and a couple of fuel stops ( For us and the bikes ) and finally finshed in Garvay.

We rode off along the coast to Saint Malo, Granville, Pontoson etc and found some fantastic roads.

If you get the chance try out the N176 from Saint Malo to Pontoson or the D7 just outside Gavray.

The N176 was good for 185mph ( I Tried but just couldn't get more ) and the D7 is made up of smooth sweeping twisties !!! Fan bloody tastic. But Now, I'm knackered !!!!!!

Damo.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online