Hi there, just joined and thought I'd say Hi !

sthomson
This post is 6363 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Just bought a Yam 2003 R6 last month after passing my DAS. It's my first bike (well, if you exclude swapping my Astra car for a mint Honda NSR 125 many years ago) after destroying the NSR over the course of a year and a half, I gave biking up. To be honest I didnt really start as I didnt have any proper gear at the time.

Now, Im older, wiser and have a wifey who wouldnt let me get the bike unless I was kitted out in the right gear (leathers, boots, decent lid etc etc)

I know the weather has been rubbish here in scotland recently but I did manage to get out for a few days, and I just wanted to say that BIKING IS FANTASTIC !!! B):P:D cant believe I left it almost 16 years before getting another one. The R6 is plenty fast for me (especially as the DAS test bike was a scabby 60,000 miles ER-5)

Have fitted crash bungs to protect my new pride and joy (better safe than sorry eh?) and as soon as the winter is over, Im off out for a blast. :D:D

Looking to get a new end can, possibly blue flame or so, to replace the HUGE OE one.

Thanks for the fantastic site, I will be sure to post any queries here, and maybe I will be able to help a couple folks out too.

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:blink: Hello there mate , where about in the bonnie land are you ? Go up there every year round Kenmore way , great country and chaps . You should feel the difference after changin your can me mate changed his R1 one last week they weigh a bloody ton :D

Near Glasgow! not too many decent roads around here but the bike school that i learned with have lots of ride-outs for all comers, which is pretty decent. They typically head for Loch Lomond etc - pretty nice roads there.

Cheers :D

Go for the blueflame mate it sounds sick on my R6 can't even begin to imagine the sound on a 1 litre.

ps :welcome:

Went up to Loch Lomond this summer, as my Girlfirned had bought me a Sea Plane Trip up there. As we were going over the bumps I saw one road that looked pretty fantastic and thought I'd have to come back up on my bike. When I got home I had a look on the map to see if I could identify the road, and sure enough there it was the B828 and what was the place named at the end of it ..... "Rest and be Thankful", say's it all I think hopefully it'll be as good on the gorund as it looks from the air as I'm back up ther next year with the bike.

Cheers for all the replies all - very much appreciated.

Regarding the new end can I plan on putting on my R6, do you think that I would need to get the bike Dyno'd to make sure the fueling wasnt screwed up with the new can ? I hope not but if theres a chance of hurting the engine then I will need to think hard about changing the can!

Cheers everyone B)

I assume it's an Injection model R6 being a 2003, could just be a later carbed version though.

I've got a 2004 R6 and stuck a Scorpion can on without any remapping and it works spot on.

I'm now going to see if Scorpion do stubby cans for that R6 as my mate has just bought one for his 03 Blade and it sounds absolutely awesome.

Hi Mate,

Yeah, its Injected. A stubby would be ideal ! let me me know how you get on with that as I think the clean look of the 06 R6 looks amazing. would be great to get a smaller profiled exhaust.

Thanks for the advice.

Gonna draw up my wishlist and thats at the top..along with, a rear LED light unit with built in indicators, flush front indicators, new chain & sprockets, new front discs & new pads all round, New rear Pilot Power 2CT (has a nail in it just now :angry: ) etc etc etc... Santa better be good to me this year !!!!!

Cheers

B)

I've got one of the rear lights fitted with built in indicators and it really does make the back end look less fussy with the indicators removed. As for indicators have you considered fitting them into where the side lights ar in the headlight, I've not done it myself yet but think I will at some point, failing that the flush fit LED indicators are nice although a little pricey.

Hi Chrisw,

Yeah, I was looking at that today actually....looks very trick dont it.

One thing though, I take it changing the side lights to indicators and changing the back light cluster to a single LED unit incorporating indicators is MOT legal ????? Im not sure! I just couldnt be arsed changing things back again just for a twenty minute MOT test....... :mellow::huh:

Also, with the front side light indicator option you would have to consider what the hell to do with the indicator stalk holes in the fairing! Large Yamaha sticker perhaps :D

I think whether it will be MOT legal depends on the dealer. I've heard mixed things about them.

For the rear indicators my dealer would be accept them as legal.

Snippet from the Official MOT website:

The precise position and angle of visibility of direction indicators are not part of this inspection, but they must be on each side of the longitudinal axis of a solo machine.

As there is a visual difference in the left and right part of the rear light it cannot be argued that they aren't even separately on each side of the longitudal axis.

I havent checked about the front indicators yet, but again fromthe MOT Website it states:

A motor bicycle (with or without a side car) fitted with a headlamp need not have a front position lamp (but must have one on the side car, if a side car is fitted).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online