NEWBIE HELP!!

cccablecompany
This post is 6323 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys I am new to this froum and I would like a little bit of advice on the following bikes. I am thinking about buying 1 of these 3 Yamaha YZF-R1, GSX-R1000, and the Hayabusa. I don't know who makes better bike out of Yamaha and Suzuki. This will be my first motorcyle. I wish to invest in a nice fast bike, I will enjoy only on weekends. I have a fews guys in my gym that own these brand of motorcycles. I am also going to take a class so I can control the power of one of these top of the line motorcycles. I know you guys are Yamaha fan boys but what are you opinions on Suzuki?? You can also contact me on AIM: CarlChristan

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys I am new to this froum and I would like a little bit of advice on the following bikes. I am thinking about buying 1 of these 3 Yamaha YZF-R1, GSX-R1000, and the Hayabusa. I don't know who makes better bike out of Yamaha and Suzuki. This will be my first motorcyle. I wish to invest in a nice fast bike, I will enjoy only on weekends. I have a fews guys in my gym that own these brand of motorcycles. I am also going to take a class so I can control the power of one of these top of the line motorcycles. I know you guys are Yamaha fan boys but what are you opinions on Suzuki?? You can also contact me on AIM: CarlChristan

Well, let me start off by saying asking a yamaha owner about which is better between yamaha and suzuki I kinda think you'll be getting a bias opinion.

I own a yamaha R6, 2006 model and I absolutely love it!! I've had it since Feb last year and have had nothing but joy from it. To use a familiar phrase, "It does exactly what it says on the tin" By far yamaha are better with build quality, reliability etc. And the R6 set the bench mark for all other supersports 600's on the market. Then they did the same all over again with the new R6. In 2006 the R6 beat suzuki and every other brand to win MCN's 'MACHINE OF THE YEAR' award AND 'BEST SUPERSPORTS 600'

Hope this helps you a little. But I will say, as you're a newbie. Go on sit on all the bikes you're thinking of getting. If they feel any way negative when you're sitting on it in a showroom, this will multiply by 10 when you get it out on the road.

Steph

im quite new around hear, but one thing ive noticed is you say this will be your first bike, have you ridden before? have you considerd starting a bit lower down the engine range? just a few small questions i would like to ask. ive been riding for about 2 years now and have only recently started looking a 1000cc bikes, i currently have a 750 which can be a sod some times. i think you should look into the subject more even if you are going to ride at weekends. i think a few others may echoe what i say

Bigger is NOT always better....Especially when it's your 1st bike! :huh:

If you've never ridden before.....an R6 would be more than enough to keep you entertained for quite awhile.

Besides, the amount of cash required to purchase a LiterBike would make for 1 Helluvan expensive weekend toy! :blink:

If I were you mate I'd look at buying a cheap 600 until I got used to riding. The last thing you want to do is blow all your money away especially if god forbid you finish up in a tree. It's also better to gain in pure experience before jumping on a bike which you find too powerful. Takes the fun out of it.

Check ot the used bikes in your area and test ride a couple before making your mind up.

As for which is better the answer is obviously Yamaha. But as it was mentioned before we are bias.

Take your time in making your mind up.

Hi mate

Speaking as someone who has experience of all three bikes you're looking at buying, I'd say STOP! With no experience you are likely to do yourself and others serious harm. Because the guys in your gym have one liter machines, does not mean that you have to go out and buy the same, its costly (financially and egotistically)

Like everyone has said before, go and try out a couple of bikes at your local dealers, sit on them, rev them, get a general feel for them. I used to work at a Yamaha/Suzuki dealership selling bikes. My boss wanted me to sell sell sell, which meant even if the person had little experience but wanted a busa, then sell them a busa. My concience got the better of me and I couldn't sell a high powered bike to a "newbie" so we parted company.

I own a yamaha, I love the bike, I love the marque, but if you think Suzuki is for you then go for it. As you have no experience, an R1 will feel no different to you than a GSXR-1000, although both bikes sit different.

Bottom line - Get a decent 600, go for a ride on a couple, buy the one that feels the best. Go out with your gym pals, but stick to your limits and then half it, build up slowly. Chances are, your gym pals could be wheelie/stoppie merchants, don't let them influence your riding.

I agree with Caulkie on this one - its quite easy to kill yourself on a 125cc machine by not knowing how to ride it (I have lost a couple of mates on small capacity machines).

Modern 1000cc bike will get you well over 150 mph, which is a world of hurt when it all goes wrong. Get a couple of rides on some mid capacity machines and see what you think. Beside if you have a 1000cc bike in a corner on a 600cc machine just think how much piss taking you can give the owner!

Bike safe and have fun!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online