xj 550 1982

Mikey B
This post is 6417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

my xj 550 dipped headlight is flickering and dim at idle and low rpm, but if i blip the throttle the light brightens til the revs drop off. same happens on the motorway. the main beam is unaffected and is bright across the entire rpm range. also, i have no headlight on turning on the ignition, until i have started the engine... is this normal? the tail/brake lights are unaffected as are indicators and dash lights....

any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

check all the connections from the light back through the system to the light relay box as it could just be a loose connection. after that i dont know much about these bikes and any associated problems.

Sorry if this is no help.

B)-->

QUOTE(Mikey B @ Oct 13 2006, 04:01 AM)

i have no headlight on turning on the ignition, until i have started the engine... is this normal?

As a matter of fact Mikey.....that IS normal for the XJ550 :huh:

What's also weird, is that the 650 & 750 XJ's have the more typical ciruitry where the headlight comes on as soon as the key is turned on the ignition switch. :headscratch:

As far as your headlight dimming @ low revs.......that has to do with how fast the generator is spinning @ those instances. ;)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mikey B @ Oct 13 2006, 04:01 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

i have no headlight on turning on the ignition, until i have started the engine... is this normal?

As a matter of fact Mikey.....that IS normal for the XJ550 :huh:

What's also weird, is that the 650 & 750 XJ's have the more typical ciruitry where the headlight comes on as soon as the key is turned on the ignition switch. :headscratch:

As far as your headlight dimming @ low revs.......that has to do with how fast the generator is spinning @ those instances. ;)

See i have no idea. Nice advice YamaHead - as always.

Regards

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online