Buzzing noise from front sprocket MT09 Tracer

Stevie P

Hi All 

Put new sprockets and chain on my Tracer 4000 miles ago without issue and now after a winter break I have picked up a buzzing noise coming (I believe) from the front sprocket. Sounds like someone constantly tightening a zip tie.

Adjusted the chain and checked alignment of rear wheel which all seem to be in order. Checked front sprocket and doesn’t look to be fouling in any way. Double checked with supplier that correct parts were sent and also measured to doubledouble check. 

Now I have run out of ideas so would appreciate any advice.

Only thing that has changed since fitting sprockets is I took wheels off to have new tires fitted before putting away for winter. 🤔

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there, Welcome Stevie, This sounds like it could easily be a dry link/joint on the chain, not uncommon even if new at the beginning, If its gone stiff and can no longer flex and move it will make a clicking noise, the faster you go, the closer the clicking. The front sprocket has the tighter radius compared to the larger rear sprocket so the chain only clicks on the smaller sprocket. Even a bit of crud could be causing the chain links to stick, and it only takes one link to click! 

Put the bike up on the centre stand and rotate the rear wheel by hand moving the chain over the sprocket, look carefully at the sprocket and chain interface, the dry link will not ride the sprocket correctly each time it comes around.

Or take the chain off and bend each link backwards and forwards and somewhere you will find one which doesn't move so freely.

Hopefully this will be the cause, its only my opinion based on what you describe, but thats where i would be looking first.

Keep us all informed.

Thanks Neo appreciate the advice…. Chain has been well maintained and have already checked…. The noise sounds like every link is striking/fouling something rather than a single link that would change as speed changes…. Sounds same as if you dragged a fingernail over a comb.

I think I will take rear wheel off this weekend and make sure everything is correct…. I feel it’s an alignment issue of some sort….. 

On the plus side it is a long weekend 😁

• Thanks 1

Ok, well, presumably the chain is not touching the chain guard? (if it has one)

Then it's going to be a process of elimination, If you're taking the wheel off, then run the motor in gear so the front sprocket just spins, see if the clicking is related to just the sprocket.

Then put the chain on, and see if clicks before you attempt to realign the wheel.

It may well be chain alignment, I'm sure there are plenty of vids on you tube, here's one.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m9tdTN2OKo

It will only be something simple causing it, especially if it was okay before!!

Good luck let us know how you get on.