XS 400 DOHC, '87

Moretto
This post is 6450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hallo everybody. I'm new here, and I would appreciate some help. I have recently bought an XS 400 DOHC. As it was made for German market, it is reduced to 27 HP. Normally, this bike has 38 or 44 HP. Can someone tell me how was it reduced and how can I "open" it?

Probably someone could know more on German forums (because they had a lot of bikes reduced to 27 HP), unfortunately, I don't speak German. :(

Thanks in advance, greetings from Croatia.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hallo everybody. I'm new here, and I would appreciate some help. I have recently bought an XS 400 DOHC. As it was made for German market, it is reduced to 27 HP. Normally, this bike has 38 or 44 HP. Can someone tell me how was it reduced and how can I "open" it?

Probably someone could know more on German forums (because they had a lot of bikes reduced to 27 HP), unfortunately, I don't speak German. :(

Thanks in advance, greetings from Croatia.

on the sohc bikes the camshaft is different and they had extra fillet restricting the carb inlets which can be cut away. the carb jetting needs to be done after the mods to compensate for the extra air flow.

possibly the same goes for your dohc model (45hp in uk)

on the sohc bikes the camshaft is different and they had extra fillet restricting the carb inlets which can be cut away. the carb jetting needs to be done after the mods to compensate for the extra air flow.

possibly the same goes for your dohc model (45hp in uk)

I just hope that the camshafts are not different...inlets and jetting shouldn't be a problem...thnx, Drewpy.

I just hope that the camshafts are not different...inlets and jetting shouldn't be a problem...thnx, Drewpy.

had a look at a translated german site and it looks like you have to change the camshafts, intakes and CDI box.

Seams like I've got me a nice piece of work. Or should I forget about it and enjoy the 27 HP... :( Anyway, drewpy, You've been most helpful... Which translated german site are you talking about...if it's not a secret...

Seams like I've got me a nice piece of work. Or should I forget about it and enjoy the 27 HP... :( Anyway, drewpy, You've been most helpful... Which translated german site are you talking about...if it's not a secret...

you could search the uk/ebay for parts or put a wanted ad in the forum!

the german site is google translated and it works out at pidgen english but you get the gist of whats going on.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

I also have the german ebay setup to email me for xs parts as they are avid xs400 fans and parts are cheaper there.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online