Seca Turbo

gavi_omen
This post is 5772 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I purchased a used 1983 Seca Turbo a few weeks back, and I suppose I'm just curious as the the community for them. I saw that there were only about 6000 made total, and of those about 1500 were made in '83. Of those, not all of them are even still running today. I'd just like to know if there's anyone out there with a Seca Turbo as I have a few questions regarding it (although they are probably fairly general to the point that anyone with a cycle could answer them).

tl;dr: Wondering what happened to all the Seca Turbos.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

58_12.JPG

64_12.JPG

That's my personal bike. In case anyone cared to look at the URLs, the links are from Ebay. I just purchased the bike from a guy in Minnesota and have taken decent rides on it thus far.

• 9 months later...

I am all to familiar with the bike. I own an 83 seca turbo, any questions in particular?

I was an original owner of an 82 Seca Turbo in 83. I rode it for many thousands of miles before being rear-ended and the bike totalled in 84.

I recently purchased another 82 Seca Turbo, and am having a blast with it.

I do not know as much as some, but I would be happy to answer any questions I can.

Here is my new, to me, bike.

Right-side.jpg

Group-Bikes-1.jpg

And my other bikes.

Jim 8)

• 1 month later...

He everyone I just got a 1982 xj650 turbo. I just got it home and after looking it over i have found that the turbo and air box is missing. If i am able to get this bike running does anyone know where i can get a turbo and box or should i just run it without the turbo? Or is there enough demand for the part off this bike to stip it and sell off the parts?

I just pack up a Seca turbo at a garage sale for $100. It was a project bike and missing some of the cover parts and the key was lost in the mail when the guys who was selling the him sent it.

Bike needs the rubber gaskes for the carburators and front brake work. This will be a nice like project for me and my kids to work on. Need to get the key so I can open the gas tank to get the old gas out and put some fresh in to try to start it up.

If anyone is interested in any parts from this 82 seca turbo let me know i think i'm going to strip it down and sell it off. It looks like a bit more work then i want to get into. i have all fiberglass body peices except the windsheild and bezel and the light bezel for around the headlight. motor is all complete minus the turbo and air box. I dont have a title for this bike. I dont know if this bike runs and i'm unsure on how long its been sitting. If anyone is interested in parts or the whole bike for parts please email me at [email protected]

• 11 months later...

Hi there

I have one of these bikes owned since 1985,It's garaged safely and hope to get it on the road soon.I love them,great power but a pig to work on.What do you want to know?

I also have a few spares so if you want any I may be able to help.

Regards

Allan

If anyone is interested in any parts from this 82 seca turbo let me know i think i'm going to strip it down and sell it off. It looks like a bit more work then i want to get into. i have all fiberglass body peices except the windsheild and bezel and the light bezel for around the headlight. motor is all complete minus the turbo and air box. I dont have a title for this bike. I dont know if this bike runs and i'm unsure on how long its been sitting. If anyone is interested in parts or the whole bike for parts please email me at [email protected]

I have a bunch of spare parts, and a spare bike with an air box and turbo on it. I can't vouch for the quality because I have never seen it run, but either I would like to buy from you, or you from me.

Jim :brow

I've had my 83 Seca Turbo since 88. It survived a major accident (woman ran a red light and I caught her in the act!). Since that time I have had 4 750 maxim engines in it (2nd gear always fails and another engine is cheaper then rebuilding one). I currently am in the process of getting it back on the road (haven't ridden it since 94). This winter it is getting a 900 engine installed!

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of spare parts, and a spare bike with an air box and turbo on it. I can't vouch for the quality because I have never seen it run, but either I would like to buy from you, or you from me.

Jim :brow

if you still have the turbo i need one. PM me or email [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I've had 2 xj650 turbos since 1987 and have one and a half left. I've used them travelling interstate many times touring around OZ and love the ride when they are cooperating. I've got a green one presently and believe it or not seen a gold one too! I've used it for many years as a motorcycle courier usually on medium to long runs and I have had two turbos rebuilt. I can tell you they hate cold mornings! A friend of mine saw one ridden into a toilet block at Bathurst and when it stalled he set fire to it. Those who ride this beast for any length of time know it can be cantankerous. However if all is working well and the turbo is operating effeciently it can blow almost anything else into the weeds and definately keep up with larger machines.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online