engine seized

deb
This post is 6487 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike has been standing for about a year now while I've been working on it...now its somewhere near nearly ready but it appears that the engine has seized up. What is the best way to test it manually (without starting the engine) and what do I do about it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Best bet I reckon would be to make sure there's oil in it ... remove the HT leads off the plugs so the bike won't start, even loosen the plugs to reduce compression make sure the battery is fully charged and in good nick then kick her over, hopefully she'll just spin, but even if she doesn't budge it's more likely to be a sticking started motor than the engine seized

Thanks. i will certainly try that. I did think of that perhaps I should remove the spark first a few minutes after asking for advise. DUH!!!!!! I should have thought of that before.

• 3 weeks later...

If there is a case of the piston to cylinder has stuck for some reason , an old steam engine mechanic told me about a remedy , and I have used it several times and it does work if there isn't to much rust or corrossion in the cylinder. Here it is mix about equal parts brake fluid with and upper cylinder lubricant such as Marvel Mystery oil . remove spark plugs ,fill cylinders, let sit overnight and then try rocking the crankshaft back and forth. Believe me this has worked.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online