Swing arm removal??

Sir Tom Jones
This post is 6493 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:( well i have been told that my sprockets and chain are knackered on my little old thundercat so its time i changed them i have got to remove my swing arm to get the chain off as its an endless chain.I have never done anything like this before but do have the haynes destruction manual at hand so if anyone has any help or tips on this matter to make my life a little easier that would be great....cheers

I have 2 weeks to get it sorted and im confused already :blink:

Why oh why do shops have to charged sooooo much :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You don't need to take the swing arm off, just cut the chain off. New chains are supplied in the right length with a link for joining the 2 ends that is pressed together and the rivet pins squashed down.

Make sure that before you remove the old chain, you loosen the front sprocket cover and loosen the sprocket bolt.

Thanks for that Chris having never done it before i made some calls today and found out the very same thing you have just said.Got my chain and sprockets from M+P heavy duty gold x ring for £92 including postage which after ringing around was the cheapest wasnt really after the heavy duty one but it was only a £5 more so what the hell now going to get myself a tool and with any luck should all be sorted out for the weekend.

Thanks again for info

Sir Tom......

NO Self-Respecting Chain-driven Bike owner should be without one of these in his Tool collection ;) ......

ChainBreaker.jpg

They can save you so much time & hassle......& well worth the price you'd pay for 'em :thumb:

Sir Tom......

NO Self-Respecting Chain-driven Bike owner should be without one of these in his Tool collection ;) ......

ChainBreaker.jpg

They can save you so much time & hassle......& well worth the price you'd pay for 'em :thumb:

Thanks for that just got one off ebay last night £29.99 heavy duty does all chains thought it was a bargin as i have seen them for £35 plus on the bike web sites just waiting on all the parts then its away we go.Gonna get all bits off tonight so i can just bolt the new stuff straight on and jump on and go. :D

Know what you mean there mate......

I've got all new chain, sprockets, tire & bearings waiting for me to install on the XT this weekend.

It's amazing how all that can smooth out the ride quality quite a bit :blink:

You'll see what I mean when you get yours all sorted ;)

Well can you believe it i got all my stuff apart from the bloody tool so no going on the bike this weekend :(

Not being to up on bikes as this is my first and im too skint to put it in the shop for work to be done i have ago myself and get more satisfaction aswell knowing its right but i am abit concerned about something might just be me and you can all laugh i really dont mind but if you dont ask you dont know right?

so if anyone can help out my question is

After i fitted my new front sprocket and fitted the out side casing back on i dont think my clutch seems to be working?? i thought that if you put the bike in gear (engine not running)and pull clutch in then the rear wheel should be free but mine isnt or is this right?? ;)

I have taken it off and refitted,even dabbed a bit of grease on the push rod to see if it lined up on the clutch cable bit right and it does. <_<

I cant try it with the bike running as the chain is not joined yet

Forget the above as i have sorted it all out got all the sprockets and chain on and even worked out how to use the tool as there were no instructions and never used one before took awhile.Now back on the road and boy is she smooth to ride no shaking just how its ment to be just got to get the oily finger prints off now.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online