Newbie in Town.

blockaz
This post is 6530 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

Passed my test last week and went out at the weekend and bought a Blue Yamaha Thundercat as my first bike. Chose this bike after much research and the fact it was cheap to insure.

Just thought i'd drop by and say Hi and request any info on riding skills if possible.

I'm just looking to build on what i've learnt.

Thanks

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Andy

Congrats on passing your test! ;)

My advise on riding skills?.......Put as much time in the saddle as you can......Practice makes perfect! B)

Hi Andy & welcome.

Congrats on passing the test and getting your first bike, I have heard that the Thundercat is quite a decent bike so I hope you get on OK with yours.

This might make me sound like a boring old fart but....I have to agree with Scott, ride as much as possible and get mileage on the clock (yours, not the bikes!) but keep the speed down for a while. Without being disparaging to either you or your local instruction centre, I would also consider taking further training. If your local police run a 'Bikesafe' scheme then get on it as everyone speaks very highly of the tuition available from very experienced and knowlegdeable police officers. Otherwise places which run CBT's often seem to do more training as well.

One thing I would say not to do is start riding in company unless you know them well and know their approach to riding and capablilites, and they know and respect your level too. One of the most common causes of accidents is people in groups trying to stay with each other. One person's pace will be very different from another's and if you happen to be riding with someone who has a lot of experience, at some point they will inevitably be going faster than you are safe to do. It isn't just about speed, or corner speed, but overall situations. Their experience will have taught them that they can overtake that lorry and car and get back in comfortably and safely. Your lack of experience is likely to fool you into thinking that 'if they can do it then I can too', and it's easy to come unstuck.

Don't be embarrassed by admitting that you are a novice, we were all there once and most people will respect you for being honest and sensible. If they don't, they ain't worth knowing!

Now go and ride, and have fun!

Cheers,

Andy

Welcome to the forum mate, congrats on passing test, i only did mine 3 years ago, Andy has some very valid points there, it is not like the days when we all got mopeds then went on to bigger bikes a sudden jump onto a powerful machine trying to keep up wiith others can lead to disaster, but an experienced rider who understands you situation and i prepared to take there time and help you learn can be a good help. i read the Ewan Macgregor /Charlie Boorman book about going around the world and one of them was invited to trackday type thing with the bike press at one stage, thinking oh what a privelege and had been practising knee downs etc around the local roundabouts and tearing up and down the roads, He turned up with all signing dancing bike that he owned thinking this will be easy to keep up with a few journalists, they all left him for dead on the first corner, and he was floundering around the track like and amateur until one of them took him under his wing for a few laps and showed him how

Merv

Many thanks for the welcomes.

The information given above is valued and appreciated and I will take that on board.

I am happy to listen to people and have already called myself a novice. I can ride a bike, but not smoothly as yet - i guess that comes in time. I am an advanced driver which helps my observations etc but slow speed riding and getting nervous when coming to junctions on the bike doesn't help.

I'm gonna try and get lots of miles under my belt as you all have said and be safe in doing so.

The CAT is a VERY fast first bike, i realise this, so keeping the right hand steady will be a must.

Thanks again and i look forward to keeping in touch via this forum and possibly local meetups in the North East.

Regards

Andy

HELLO ANDY!!

Welcome to the club!

A thundercat sounds like a cool first bike to me, might be worth talking to "Sir Tom Jones" (not the real one a member on here :P ) about them as he owns one to..

how was the test? i will be doing a 2 and a half day restricted lisence within the next monrth and any advice or tips would be gratefully apreciated! :)

all i can say is welcome to the world of motorbiking and it is a fun place to be, and may i wish you many a happy mile......

Hi all.

Passed my test last week and went out at the weekend and bought a Blue Yamaha Thundercat as my first bike. Chose this bike after much research and the fact it was cheap to insure.

Just thought i'd drop by and say Hi and request any info on riding skills if possible.

Thanks

Andy

• Admin

Welcome aboard mate, Andy has said some wise advise!

Like he says, most areas have a bike safe course get out one, and of course get to know your bike by getting the distance in B)

Welcome Andy, I'm new here myself but very second hand on the bikes! (I'm 63 going on 19). As the man says, get the miles under your belt and the experience will come. We've all been beginners sometime. Lucky man, my first vehicle was a 250cc BSA C15 that wouldn't go, wouldn't stop and wouldn't steer! Don't let the old Farts bang on about the "Good Old Days", they were SHITE ! and so were most of the bikes back then. Modern is GOOD! Keep it sunny side up and get yourself up here on our Amazing Scottish roads. If you survive the Kamikzi sheep, you'll be well on the way. Blue2

:D

Hi all.

Thanks

Andy

:rolleyes: Hi there

I thought it might ease your mind knowing that there is another"newbie" on the house. I've been riding bikes for years, but never actually owned one of my own. But I now have a brand new Xt 660R and I'm also learning the tricks of the trade on my new machine. It's so great to see so much advice being shared around by all those other bikers out there, it helps alot.

Sounds like you got a great 'first buy' there, enjoy it and ride safe!

YamiRich

:thumb: Hi Andy congrats on the test mate as for the cat? well i have been riding scooters for 20 years and only last year i decided to get a big bike (my ears couldnt take anymore from the wife) so i sold one of my scooters and bought a CAT as my first bike having never riden a proper bike so to speak.I had a days lesson on a hornet and then out on my cat.My advice is enjoy it mate just take it easy with the throttle but i have had so much fun and it is so easy to control it more or less does the work for you as some of the others have said get the miles on the clock.Had mine now for a year next week and it still brings a smile to my face every time i go out on her like the other weekend when a couple of us done 600 miles was a great feeling mind you not got the bottle yet to get my knee down guess im too scared of dropping her.