Xt550J and XT550K difference?

This post is 6458 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm pickup up an XT550 on Saturday, which I want to restore to it's former glory. Now, how would I know if it's a J or a K XT?

What's the main difference between these 2 models?

Regards,

Spyker

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

'Bout the only diff I can come up with.......is that the J is an '82 model (like mine ;) )....& the K was from '83.......the only 2 years the 550 was produced. :unsure:

Hope you like it as much as I like mine?

Been doing ALOT of miles on the old girl lately with my new job situation......

It just doesn't miss a beat! :thumb:B)

XT_SweetView.jpg

'Bout the only diff I can come up with.......is that the J is an '82 model (like mine ;) )....& the K was from '83.......the only 2 years the 550 was produced. :unsure:

Hope you like it as much as I like mine?

Been doing ALOT of miles on the old girl lately with my new job situation......

It just doesn't miss a beat! :thumb:B)

XT_SweetView.jpg

I'm actually restoring the bike at the moment. I've completely stripped everything down to bolts and nuts.

The frame and swingarm are at the powder coaters at the moment.

I've taken some photos and will post them when I've completed the assembly. I've found 2 gears so far thats missing teeth on the gear. The sleeve will be rebored and a new piston kit installed.

Can't wait to get it going! B)

• 1 month later...

One of the main differences is in the carbs. The K model YDIS carb is identifiable in that it has an afterburner unit on the primary stage carb to prevent the motor leaning out on fast throttle shut off at speed and backfiring. Other mods include a revised kickstart gear, (original was Nylon and prone to stripping) etc and improved ignition units / ignition train. To my knowlege they are all interswappable though. Not much in it.

One of the main differences is in the carbs. The K model YDIS carb is identifiable in that it has an afterburner unit on the primary stage carb to prevent the motor leaning out on fast throttle shut off at speed and backfiring. Other mods include a revised kickstart gear, (original was Nylon and prone to stripping) etc and improved ignition units / ignition train. To my knowlege they are all interswappable though. Not much in it.

Interesting..........My J model has all of those! :huh:

:D YH you redneck, your bike is so old and modified it probably doesn't have many of the original parts left.

But the closest to proof of difference I can give you is to look at the online microfische...

here is the carb for starters on a J... you will notice... no after burner

YA4487_12.gif

good link.... http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem.asp

An the K carb..... Note the after burner on the top right parts 45 etc

YA4471_12.gif

Stick to buses you twat Bruce! :lol:

You should return to your Vespa roots :P;)

:rolleyes: keep well pete B)

:D YH you redneck, your bike is so old and modified it probably doesn't have many of the original parts left.

My Neck actually is a bit Red these days Bruce...........from being SunBurnt! :PB)

Surprisingly.......my 550 doesn't backfire when I get off the WFO throttle position :unsure:

Thanx for that clarification though........I stand corrected ;)

Tell me this Bruce......

Did you ever have problems with your 550 leaking oil from the frame backbone? :unsure:

I've heard this is a fairly common issue with the 550......

US001.jpg

I've fixed mine once already, but now it looks as if I'll have to do that again as I've just noticed it starting to leak from the same spot :rolleyes:

To be honest, no, I never experienced that problem. I would be hazarding a wild guess here, but does your rear shock ever bottom out heavily? The rear shock weld joints (and subsequent) in that section may have made the metal brittle. Alternatively if the bushes in the swingarm wore unevenly at any point this creates a twist in the swing arm action that will come up through the bars below. The whole bikes frame and rigidity centres arount that section and so is subject to fatigue.

BTW if at all viable use silver solder rather than welding it to plug any weeping to avoid causing the joint becoming more brittle.

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online