Road Safety for Motorbikes

mr bignal
This post is 2834 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I started an IAM course got half way through, gave up then did the same thing about 2 yrs later 

recently came across a different approach that seems to make perfect sense, 

Some of you may be interested in this, avoiding motorcycle accidents based on anticipating the worse possible outcomes - sounds gloomy but it's to do with expecting bad driving and being prepared rather than taken by surprise

https://nosurprise.org.uk/

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Totally and utterly agree.

I have ridden and driven my entire life working on the logic of what if....?

It has without doubt saved my life at least two occasions I'm certain of.

Ironically  I find it a better way to ride as you get your braking done early go into the corner properly then when you can see clearly you can drive out.

If you like their thinking take one of the police ride outs, they are usually at large bike events, they take people out and show em how they ride. I did one at the MCN butlins event, those police riders are proper no bulshit fast, on effectively fully loaded tourers. Minimum risk too, its an education watching them ride it really is.

• Like 2

Isn't it just defensive driving/riding under a fresh new brand?

11 minutes ago, Sacha said:

Not if you have ever experienced the IAM courses. I got half way through one too. Self important premadonna's

Apparently I was supposed to follow the bike in front directly behind him, within 10feet, in line, (raining at the time). I wanted to ride staggered, as told to do so by a police motorcyclist on an observed ride, gives better visibility and an escape route. 

Apparently I was very wrong and as I was riding dangerously in their eyes was told to toe the line or pull out. So I left.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sacha said:

well yes, that was the IAM thing I did, a protective bubble idea, leaving gaps and looking ahead but this stuff kind of cuts to the quick, expect people to pull out big time - they have a routine, you have a counter on the handlebar, every time you are surprised by something you click, empirical data shows the clicks rise at first then eventually fall of as you are no longer surprised at anything and of course that's the way to be.

• Like 1

Ah I see! I've never heard of IAM. 

Institute of Advanced Motorists (also Motorcycles) - it's a UK thing. I agree with cynic, they are a tad self righteous and prescriptive.

Isn't Idaho mentioned in a B52's song? b-52's my own private idaho, i prefer rock lobster or planet clare though, no offence :)

The UK is about the same size but congested by comparison -  Idaho is equal to 0.89 UKs  UK pop 65million Idaho pop 1.6 million

2 hours ago, mr bignal said:

Institute of Advanced Motorists (also Motorcycles) - it's a UK thing. I agree with cynic, they are a tad self righteous and prescriptive.

Isn't Idaho mentioned in a B52's song? b-52's my own private idaho, i prefer rock lobster or planet clare though, no offence :)

The UK is about the same size but congested by comparison -  Idaho is equal to 0.89 UKs  UK pop 65million Idaho pop 1.6 million

She drove a Plymouth satellite... No offense taken. I love planet Claire! :thumb: 
We have STAR (skills training advantage for riders) courses here - beginning through advanced and also for trikes and sidecars IIRC. I've only taken beginning. 
Yep, lots of room to breathe here in Idaho. :jossun:

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online