Lacquer on cast wheels?

Derekm
This post is 2998 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've a 2007 XVS 1100, built for the Jap, Hawaii and US markets. There appears to be some sort of lacquer on the shiny surfaces of the cast alloy wheels and some "white rust" has found it's way underneath. Does anyone know the best way to remove the lacquer completely, without damaging the painted/coated centre section please? I don't ride in the winter and a couple of sessions with Autosol each year is no hardship - and I like the polished finish!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Polishing (professional metal kind) or vapour blasting.

If your a patient sort you could use paint strippers but they are really messy and results can vary.

One thing. The longer you leave the white rust (aluminium oxide) the worse it will get. Dont forget if you live near the coast bare ally is not a good idea. No matter what season.

I take your point about near the coast, but the Bonny was no problem with bare polished alloy. I'm only a fairweather, low mileage rider!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online