Flat spot in all gears xvs 125

Dom1878
This post is 3193 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning

My lack of engineering knowledge strikes again.

Bike ticks over fine as is usually okay for pulling away, then as soon as I open the throttle the engine note deepens and it refuses to rev. If I pull the clutch in it winds up again straight away and I can kind of startle it into accelerating but as soon as I change up a gear, it bogs down again. If I hold the throttle open long enough as I slowly get faster, it eventually starts to accelerate and then cuts back in to the end of its rev range as normal. Change up again and  its back to square 1. There is no backfire but there is definitely some spluttering as it's trying to increase the revs. Tends to be worse on a wet or misty  day.

Help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Couple of questions..

Has it always done it?

Do you drive a car a lot. Esp modern diesels?

Are you bigger than average?

Your air filter cleaned/replaced when?

Plugs checked?

Plugs new in February, haven't checked them.

Haven't touched the air filter. Have noticed hot gas out of top exhaust and cold gas out of bottom.

Wouldn't even start after the downpour we just had, took a good 5 minutes of turning her over (not continuously obviously) on full choke to get a very laboured splutter into life then about another 30 seconds for it to come up to tick over speed.

Yesterday was a wet morning, same trouble on the way to work. Sunny and dry for the rest of the day, not a single sign of a problem on the way home 8 hours later.

Ok, thats moving towards electrical.

Plugs done in febuary, that's good but you really should check them with symptoms like you describe.

Make sure the plugs are clean, then when you refit them (new is better or at least swap their positions) make sure the plug caps are watertight having a good seal. Then give it a zap with wd40 around the plugs.

• Like 1

Thanks Cynic.

Thought it may be electrical misfire. Had the covers on it through a monsoon last night and she was fine this morning. 100 miles from cold without missing a beat. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online