XJR1300 Cyl head stuck.

ColinF
This post is 3258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In the process of removing head from '99 XJR1300sp for a mate who managed to strip a plug thread.Most of it came apart easy enough but the head is well and truly stuck to the barrels.I've removed the m6 studs at the front but the ones at the back aren't long enough to double up the nuts to lock them.Done the usual tapping with rubber mallet etc but i think any movement is going to disturb the base gasket.Are they usually this bad? i've done CBX1000 and GSX without having to resort to bigger hammers! Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had the same with my FJ, a right bastard to get off, as long as you have the 2 front and 2 rear small nuts off and the head bolts are undone then it can only be the head hanging onto the studs, you could try putting the plugs back in and turn the engine over on the starter but be aware that you could blow the head off if your a bit over enthusiastic, worked for me on the FJ but I only dabbed at the starter to rotate the engine 1/2 a turn at a time, sounds brutal but the only other way is hit it with bigger and bigger hammers till it moves, not really recommended. Make sure you have the cam chain loose as well. Other than that it's ask DOC at the FJ owners club what he might recommend if your a member that is!

PS your right that it can also loosen the base of the barrels as well so you just have to take a chance on that.

FJ Owners Club, Ivy Cottage, Cromhall, Wotton-U-Edge, Glos GL12 8AR ; Tel 01454 299325 ; [email protected]

Thanks for the advice, if it was my bike i'd give it a go but i daren't try it on someone else's.Got it off in the end,decided to remove all four M6 studs so i could rock it to and fro.One of the dowels was stuck.Going to change the base gasket as well for peace of mind.Asked the same question on XJR1300 and got nothing! Thanks again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online